crank and crank

/ crank and crank #1  

mlange2009

Bronze Member
neighbor has a 1320 when sitting for a few days,and go to start it,it cranks and cranks,puffing black smoke,just will not fire,right away,takes 3-4 minutes,cranking for 20 seconds at a time,waiting then try again,then finally it will start any ideas?? maybe battery is not strong enough? thanks

/ crank and crank #2  
neighbor has a 1320 when sitting for a few days,and go to start it,it cranks and cranks,puffing black smoke,just will not fire,right away,takes 3-4 minutes,cranking for 20 seconds at a time,waiting then try again,then finally it will start any ideas?? maybe battery is not strong enough? thanks

Cranking 20 seconds at a time and repeatedly is sure sign the battery good. I don't think starter can take this abuse constantly. Do you know if he gets fuel in the injectors, does he use preheat? does it matter with or without preheat? Does he have to do the same even if the engine is at operating temp?
I think his problem lies in the fuel area, not having enough flow, contaminated fuel, bad fuel, gasoline mixed with diesel maybe or injectors not atomizing the fuel.

JC,

/ crank and crank #3  
First he should make sure the Fuel filter has been changed recently, and the air has been bled. Then make sure the glow plugs are still in fair shape, and use them. My 2 Fords both need the glow plugs on a August morning. Once the tractor is warmed up, they should start right up the rest of the day. And it will take a huge load away from the starter.

/ crank and crank #4  

My first thought is that the fuel system is losing prime due to an air leak but you wouldn't see black smoke for that. Sounds like too much fuel and not enough air. Is the air cleaner restricted?

How does it run after it starts?

/ crank and crank #5  
When I brought the 1700 home on the trailer, I cranked and cranked (with a screwdriver across the solenoid). Neighbor was sure it was the fuel filter. So I changed it and bled the lines. Still wouldn't start. About to give up and was doing the usual "wiggle the wires" and hmmmm... glow plug wire apparently loosened up during the 225+ mile trip. Snugged it back down and gave it some heat and it started right up !!

-Neil

/ crank and crank #6  
. Sounds like too much fuel and not enough air. ?

Not thinking that would be an issue........ a diesel will run just fine at 1 to 1 AFR.... it will smoke like crazy, but will run just fine other than having possibly high exhaust port temps...
I would suggest that the fuel filter be changed and check all the glowplugs with a VM.... then check to verify that you are getting power to all glowplugs...

/ crank and crank
yes we preheat,think i'll start with the fuel filter,but where is it located and is it just a inline,that i can get at napa?? don't know how to bleed the system either,put a battery in last night,no change,was messing with the throttle,trying to find the sweet spot,seems to be at or around 1/4 after it started,i shut it down,turned the key and it fired right up,did this 4 times

/ crank and crank #8  
yes we preheat,think i'll start with the fuel filter,but where is it located and is it just a inline,that i can get at napa?? don't know how to bleed the system either,put a battery in last night,no change,was messing with the throttle,trying to find the sweet spot,seems to be at or around 1/4 after it started,i shut it down,turned the key and it fired right up,did this 4 times

If you don't have factory fuel bowl/filter combo then you can use any in line automotive fuel filter. I have seen many like that. Filter need to be between the tank and inlet to injector pump... nothing on the pump discharge. The injector has a screw that you can partly open and as you start it will bleed the air up to the injector pump. You need to bleed all the way to the injectors. Best thing is to loosen the injector fuel line at the injector partially and crank the engine a few times. You'll see combination of air and fuel bubble come out. Once you got steady stream of fuel with no bobble then you had it bled.

Post back with your findings.

JC,

ps. I use about 1/4 throttle for start and work's well. If it starts right up after it is warmed up then I have less worry about the fuel system. Check the juice going to glow plugs. glow plugs can be taken out easily and tested with non contact infra red thermometer. I never needed to do it so never measured the temp to report. Changing the filter is never a bad idea.

/ crank and crank #9  
does it start ok once warmed? does it start ok the next day cold?.. but not start 2-3 days later cold?

does it immediatly start smoking black ( a sign it is getting fuel ).

have you checked the glow plugs to make sure they are actually heating and drawing down the system voltage?

soundguy

/ crank and crank
yes smokes right away,and if it sits over night same problem,crank,crank,crank,once started it starts right up after shut down,even 15 min later will fire right up