Mowing King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO

/ King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO #1  

Joey a

Tractor
Ford/new holland 1720
When i try to engage the mower it grinds on the pto before starting, and the lever that you push down gets stuck mid way. after about 15 seconds of grinding it will then start up. ANY help would be appreciated.:confused2:

Its a ford/new holland 1720 Dsl Compact 2&4WD

Is it the clutch not engaging? Not sure cause before we put the finish mower on there, it would go just fine.

/ King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO #2  
Question, are you stopped or moving when you try to engage the PTO? Is the clutch pushed in or is it engaged (out) when you apply the PTO?

/ King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO #3  
The 1720 came with 2 clutch options. A single clutch or a dual clutch. If you have a dual clutch the disk for the pto might be stuck from lack of use. When ever you engage the pto you should be at idle and increase rpm's after the pto is fully engaged. If you keep grinding it into gear you will end up with some verry expensive repairs.
Bill

/ King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO #4  
try depressing clutch fully and see what it does.

soundguy

/ King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO
Question, are you stopped or moving when you try to engage the PTO? Is the clutch pushed in or is it engaged (out) when you apply the PTO?
Stopped. I also tried moving, didn't work.

Tried the clutch both ways, neither way worked...

Also it is a single clutch. The thing is, is that when the finish mower isn't attached, the PTO runs just fine.The person that i bought it from said that you have to put the PTO in gear and then start the tractor... but my tractor has a sensor that will not allow that, and I don't know how to disable it.

I read the manual and it just says to engage the PTO by pulling down the lever with the tractor already on and in neutral... already knew that.

I told a guy that owns a tractor repair store what it was doing and he said to bring it by... Will probably just do that.

TO SOUNDGUY:

Tried, didn't work. I saw in your picture that you have a mower attached to your tractor... do you engage the PTO and then turn on the tractor, or the other way around. THANKS

Last edited:
   / King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO #7  
engaging the mower then starting the tractor means the pto stage of the clutch is stuck engaged..

if all is working, then you can engage the mower AFTER starting the tractor.

Ok well i am just going to have it fixed at my local new holland dealer. They said the clutch is either stuck or is broken... Thanks for the info anyway... :)

/ King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO #9  
$YIKES$

soundguy

/ King Kutter finish mower GRINDING on PTO #10  
If it costs big bucks to fix, go to plan "B" and shut the tractor down, shift the PTO in or out and restart the tractor and go.