Loader Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff #1  

jeffmedford

Tractor
Ford Workmaster 641 (1961)
New to the board. I sure appreciate all the knowledge I see out there and hope for some advice.

I'm a city boy moving to the country so daughter can have her horses onsite. Bought a 1961 Ford 641 workmaster tractor in great shape (red/gray) to pull a brushhog and mower. I love it but have not done much more than drive around looking important so far.

I really would live to have a way to move things around. I have a bad back and would like the equipment to do all the work. I see what looks like mounting brackets on the front. I suspect that is for a front end loader. I would love a front end loader but read so many scary threads on putting a FEL on a 8N not sure if I'm just barking up the wrong tree for my make/model.

If I can put a FEL on this, what make/model should I get for it? FEL Buckets and other attachments seem so darn handy for moving stuff around, like sand to mix in the arena.

If a FEL is not a good idea, is there something I can get for the 3 PT that I can use to life things with? Like an arm or something that I can use to pick up implements and move them around. Something that I can attach things to with say a chain to life and haul. On another site (tractordata) I see that I have 1200 pound lift ability or so. Would be nice to be able to move sand too.

PS - I am not very handy. Easy to change implements are most welcome.

Thanks, any and all tips for a new tractor owner are welcome! (PS I already heard the one about the PTO is the most dangerous thing on the property. Already scared of it ...)

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff #2  
First of all, welcome to TBN:thumbsup:

I dont think a FEL on that tractor is a great Idea.

First, the front end isnt very heavy duty.
Second, With only 2wd, you wont lift much and be able to move it unless you have a bunch of weight out back + loaded tires.
Third, unless you have power steering, it will be a real workout just to steer.
Fourth, it will be expensive for a modern loader. And even a used loader may take a good bit of fabrication to make work.

Three things for you to consider for the rear for moving things.

1. Boom pole. This is the "arm" thing you are refering to. Great for moving implements and such.

2. A carry-all. Pretty much what it sounds like. It is basically a platform on the rear that you can carry wood, dirt, sand, or anythign on.

3. A slip-scoop. Also good for dirt/sand, but will allow you to dig and dump as well.

None of these three are very expensive. In my area any of the above can be had on c-list used for $100 or less.

Good luck with the tractor and keep us posted with projects that you accomplish with it:thumbsup:

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff #3  
Hi & Welcome,
There are a couple of folks here that are real experts on the 8N. Post some pictures of your tractor and the brackets.

There is a small dump scoop that fits the 3 point on your tractor. Does not hold enough to move much sand. But better than nothing.

PTO & tractors in general are to be respected, but not feared or afraid of. With an older tractor, you need to get a little handy. :D Just changing implements on the 3pt can be a job some times.

Have fun.

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff
Anyone know where I can get one of those one arm FELs I have seen on other threads?

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff #5  
Look in the ytmag.com for sale section.

FYI, a loader could run up in to the $4000+ range new. Finding a used one can be done, but there are not many out there.

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff #6  
Anyone know where I can get one of those one arm FELs I have seen on other threads?

Jeff, you haven't told us where you are located.:confused: It would help to know because shipping can be a big expense. Also, if you can try a tractor with a loader it might help you make a decision before "taking the plunge."

Your 641 tractor will surely need some real ballast in the rear on the wheels and probably also on the 3PH before you can get any real work done with the loader. If you get a big load in the loader and go downhill, you may find that braking is impossible because the rear wheels have no traction and your front wheels have no braking.:shocked: After having one 2WD tractor with a loader, I decided I would never have an FEL again without 4WD. YMMV. Also, since you probably don't have power steering, a heavy load on the FEL will make steering a big chore.

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff #7  
I don't know where your located but take a look at long lane tractors in elizabethtown Pa

/ Front End Loader recommendations - or other ways to move stuff #8  
about a quarter of my olf fords have ford 711 or 722 1-arm loaders.

depending ont he model, they have 2500 breakout and 1000# lift to full height, or 3000# breakout / 1200# lift.

I do have a heavier 2 post superior loader for stuff up to 2000#, but did alot on those 1-arm jobs. even moved round hay with them.

they are easy to put on.. can hang one in 15 minutes once the brackets are bolted on.

the trip dump models only need a SA hyds connection and cost about 75-150$.. the full hyd models go for up to 400$ both with brackets.

on the trip dump model, you can remove the plug from the 3x5 cover under the seat.. put in a 90' pipe adapter then run a hose over to the loader.. chain the 3pt arms down tot he axles and put a counterweight back there.. then use the lift control to move the loader.

that's the cheap n easy way. there are other more usefull more expensive ways using a selectrol diverter valve, or power beyond plate, or a top cover remote.. with prices that run 100$ to 200$.. for the valve.. plus extra for hoses and adapters..e tc.

here's a few shots of some of my tractors with different loader configurations.. and some non loader 'family' members.

soundguy

Attachments

• a108938.jpg
    a108938.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 347
  • a107969.jpg
    a107969.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 306
  • a108741.jpg
    a108741.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 256
  • a129667.jpg