testing temp gauge

/ testing temp gauge #81  
The thermostat out is actually bad. Even in hot weather, it will restrict the flow of coolant. With the thermostat out, in most cases the coolant passes thru the radiator too fast. If it goes thru the radiator too fast, then it does not have time for the thermal transfer to cool the coolant.

Or just leave the thermostat out. Over 110 here, don't really need one.

/ testing temp gauge #82  
You may get by with sealant on a tractor, but best practices is to use a gasket, no sealer at all. Some applications run a hot head by putting restrictions in the water paths. A bit of sealant can break off, clog the orifice, and differential heating will shear the head gasket and warp the head.

/ testing temp gauge
Seams as tho you feel it is the T-stat that is the problem , I felt the same way a while ago but got confused with all the talk and testing and tech talk I think you had it right when you said that the dingle was the problem. The S-stat is either is stuck open or the dingle holds the t-stat open enough to keep it from closing fully thus keeping it from regulating the proper water temp thus showing a cool operating temp 120f degrees where as it should be about 190f degrees. Am going to work the tractor one more time and keep an eye on the gauge, if it stays on cold am going to order a t- stat. By the way I know how to make a gasket made a few in my time what I meant was if I have to track to town to buy either one might as well get the correct one. AGREE????? Paul

/ testing temp gauge
OK"Jim/Jenman,
It's almost over I replaced the T-Stat and it's working although I do not know what was actually wrong. I was very carefull when removing the T-Stat housing and the T-Stat looked closed I then gingerly lifted the unit up and the dingle was free I than decided to replace it since I bought the thing and put it together and filled it and fired it up and it started to work. I worked the tractor yesterday temp rose to the 1/2 way mark and stayed that way all day except during a brake than it slowly went cold when I started it again slowly rose again to the 1/2 mark . I know the problem was the T-Stat but why I bought a candy temp gauge today and am going to test it tomorrow to find out where it failed.Will let you know what I find out. Just want to say thank you to you and all that helped. Paul

/ testing temp gauge
Ok" guys here's the story: I think I've done every test you ask I've bought a temp gun,a thermometer,and a new meter. I checked the sensor, checked the gauge and the wiring, checked with the cap and with out the cap, did static tests including checking the flow and temp by sticking my finger in it and came to the conclusion that the t-stat was at fault and stuck open, the gauge still remained on cold, I opened the system and checked the t-stat but it was closed??carefully removed it and it looked fine the dingle(air bleed) it was as it should be well I stuck in a new t-stat since I purchased one of them and put the system back together add'ed fluid and started the Eng, low and behold the gauge worked I worked the tractor the next day turning it off and on several times and it always worked fine TO DAY I PUT THE OLD T-STAT IN A POT OF WATER WITH A THERMOMETER AND GUESS WHAT IT OPENED AND CLOSED. APROX.OPEN AT 71C AND FULLY OPEN AT 85C . PLEASE,PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME. I just do not understand. (bad wire?)

/ testing temp gauge #86  
Ok" guys here's the story: I think I've done every test you ask I've bought a temp gun,a thermometer,and a new meter. I checked the sensor, checked the gauge and the wiring, checked with the cap and with out the cap, did static tests including checking the flow and temp by sticking my finger in it and came to the conclusion that the t-stat was at fault and stuck open, the gauge still remained on cold, I opened the system and checked the t-stat but it was closed??carefully removed it and it looked fine the dingle(air bleed) it was as it should be well I stuck in a new t-stat since I purchased one of them and put the system back together add'ed fluid and started the Eng, low and behold the gauge worked I worked the tractor the next day turning it off and on several times and it always worked fine TO DAY I PUT THE OLD T-STAT IN A POT OF WATER WITH A THERMOMETER AND GUESS WHAT IT OPENED AND CLOSED. APROX.OPEN AT 71C AND FULLY OPEN AT 85C . PLEASE,PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME. I just do not understand. (bad wire?)

Congrats that you finally got the new t-stat to do what it should do. what temps did you register when t-stat fully opened and how it compared to initial cold state? on your question about the old t-stat.. that's a started to open at 160 and fully open about 185 Fahrenheit which sounds about right. is there any possibility that you had some calcification and debris that kept the t-stat open and once you opened up the system you knocked it lose? did you see tell tale sign that the dingle thing kept the t-stat open ? did you see foreign debris in the t-stat housing?

JC,

ps. Good thing that you've done everything that needs to be done and now you have all the gadgets to do further investigation as need arises. It's better to know how to fish:D

/ testing temp gauge #87  
Awesome Paul! You are now TBN's thermostat expert.:thumbsup: From now on, every temperature gauge problem will be referred to you.;):laughing:

Seriously, I don't know what happened. It could have been something as simple as spade connector contact with the sending unit, but not being able to put "hands on" makes anything a guess. I suppose the only way you will know for sure about the old t-stat is to put it back in, but if I had a working system, I wouldn't mess with it. No need to tempt fate. Perhaps the valve of the old thermostat would slightly open under water pressure and allow enough water through to keep the system cold. I just don't know, but I'm ready to sit down with you and enjoy a cool one because you fixed this problem and you did it yourself. Good job!:drink:

/ testing temp gauge
The numbers I gave were what the owners manual specs. call for.(start to open at 71 c and fully open at 85 c) I did not do a test on the new one. ,There was no derbre in or around the t-stat when I opened the system, I was very careful and slowly opened it so as not to disturb anything as i felt I would find something wrong at least the t-stat stuck open but nothing everything looked brand new the fluid was nice and clean and clear as we perform regular maintenance on the tractor I gingerly removed the t-stat thinking that the release dingle would be stuck in the works but it was hanging free. I did not mess with the spade connector again as there was no need to. I than put it back together and it started working fine and still is. Only thing is now I do not sleep well wondering what was wrong and just. call it a freakey t-stat or ?. Yes I think I know the system now and earned my stripe. I just want to thank all of you for your help for I could not have earned it with out you.
Paul