1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions

/ 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions #1  

EWJ

Hello- Newbie here.

Going to look at a 1975 2000 gasser this evening. The seller states the hyds are slow but promises that it is just due to a loose fitting that has now been fixed and that he does not know where to add hyd oil.

Where is the hyd fill on this? it has a PTO, so it is the 8 speed (6 fwd/2 rev) trans. If the level is good, then what could be the issue?

The hours are unknown on this unit, but it looks alright. What else to look out for- in general or with this particular series?

TIA.

/ 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions #2  
The hydraulic fill plug is in the top of the rear end housing right next to the draft spring. Its a big round plug with a hex head on it. There is a small pipe plug in the side of the housing you can pull to let you know when the level is right. Its down near where your right heel would be when sitting on the tractor.

There is an allen head plug in the side of the hydraulic pump head for purging the air out of the system. Pull the center coil wire form the distributor and give it a few cranks to burp the air out after you fill her with fluid. Put the plug back in quick after it gives you a good shot of fluid out. If the hydraulics are still slow, the pump is probably shot.

The system is pretty simple and basically designed to run only the three point hitch. There isn't much flow available to run other stuff.

/ 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions
Thanks for the info.

This unit has a loader hung on it: are we saying it should not have one, using the factory 3 point pump?

How involved is repairing the pump?

Last edited:
   / 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions #4  
ps.. a 6f / 2 rev is NOT an 8spd.

8f/2r is an 8spd. 6f/2r is a SIX speed.

the big difference? live pto.

98% of 6spd twin sticks are non live pto.. whereas the 8spd will be live pto.

pump should be doing 4gpm or better. will run a loader but not blindingly fast.

gasser huh? hope it has a GOOD holley carb or the zenith replacement.

soundguy

/ 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions #5  
I had a '73 Ford 2000 gasser back in the 90's. The reason that I upgraded to my 5210 was that I wanted a loader. I looked at alot of information at the time and decided it would just be a better idea to sell the 2000 than try and fit it with a loader.

If memory serves me correctly the hydraulic pump flow was just barely over 3 gpm, something like 3.2? There were some aftermarket pumps available at the time that would up the flow. But then there was the issue of the front axle. The 2000s really weren't built for the stresses that a loader can put on a front axle. They were an entry level tractor that was designed for people who could barely afford a new tractor, let alone fitting it with hydralics and a loader. Power steering was one of the important features for loader work that Ford did not include as a standard on the 2000 to help keep the price down.

Don't get me wrong it was a great tractor. It handled a 2-14 plow, 7 foot disks and a 5' rotary cutter with ease, but it was definitely not a loader tractor. The diesel and gas engine both used the same engine block. The head and induction system was changed. I even remember seeing one for sale that was converted from diesel to gas using a "factory" conversion kit.

Mine also had the 6 speed with 6f/2r, two stage clutch and live pto. By the mid 70's I thought Ford was making all the 6 and 8 speeds with live pto. There was a basic four speed that may not have been.

Last edited:
   / 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions #6  
basic 4spds were non live pto.

6 spds might be found with live pto.. 8 spds live pto.. etc.

soundguy

Thanks all for the info. I was unable to go see the unit and from the replies, perhaps I will pass on it. Did not expect this series to be an underachiever.

/ 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions #8  
2000 3 cyl was an economy unit targeted at an entry level buyer.. less features and less cost... it was NOT an underachiever.

means 2 different things.

soundguy

2000 3 cyl was an economy unit targeted at an entry level buyer.. less features and less cost... it was NOT an underachiever.

means 2 different things.

soundguy

Point taken- however, MilkMan made it seem it was not a machine suited for a loader: between the axle, the GPM of the pump and other comments.

I am just seeking a machine which fits my budget, needs and have resale value: not seeking to challenge anyone or debate a given machine's quality. :drink:

/ 1975 Ford 2000 Hyd Questions #10  
the swept back adjustable axle using radius rods goes all the way back to the 1939 ford 9n.

It is not the 'best' axle for a loader, however that said.. there are a bunch.. and i do mean a BUNCH of old fords out there with that axle design using a loader.

the 1 piece light or the heavy industrial axles are better suited.. stuff you see ont he 1841 and 3400, and of course the 3 cyl 4000 axle design.. those are much heavier duty and better suited for a laoder for day in and out use.

for homeowner use, or moderate farm use.. the regular axle design is fine.

hyd pump output from the tractor itself is rarely high enough to run a large capacity loader with much speed.

it is however cheaper to use onboard hyds with a remote to run a loader. all but one of my machines uses the tractors onboard 4gpm pump to run loaders. I do have 1 front mounted pump ( stinger / crankshaft driven ) loader. it of course is fast.. etc. and probbaly added 600-900$ of cost to the setup.

again.. you match need to application with respect to budget.

soundguy