What is this and should I be worried?

/ What is this and should I be worried? #1  

moojamboo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1710
Hi all,

Ford 1710, 694 hours, 4wd. (Had the tractor since Feb of this year, so very very new to me, used to be father in law's. This is my first tractor)

Noticed this morning a drip under the engine when I went out to do some logging with the tractor. Traced the trip to an ugly looking tube that comes out of the tractor engine. The tube itself is rather caked with what looks like oil (maybe?), the drip found under looks small, but looks like it has been there a couple times I put the tractor away.

The following pics go from a far out view to in close so you can see the tube I mean. I went through my manual quickly but could not find it. I am sure it is there but I just can't locate it.

So, what is it, and is it it normal to not be connected to anything, and drip slightly? Is this just some sort of relief valve/tube?

thanks in advance, please see below for pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

/ What is this and should I be worried? #2  
Looks like a crankcase breather. It vents excess pressure, along with a little bit of oil vapor. That collects and drips, but as long as it's just "drips" I wouldn't worry about it. The tube gets pretty grungy from being coated in oil and gathering all the dust you throw up working the tractor.

-rus-

/ What is this and should I be worried? #3  
Looks like a crankcase breather. It vents excess pressure, along with a little bit of oil vapor. That collects and drips, but as long as it's just "drips" I wouldn't worry about it. The tube gets pretty grungy from being coated in oil and gathering all the dust you throw up working the tractor.

-rus-

Right on,That is the crankcase vent...

/ What is this and should I be worried?
thank you both. I am new to this, and I don't want to ignore anything that could snowball into something worse.

Also if my father in law has the tractor 25 years and I bust it in the first 6 months I am going to be on the wrong end of jokes for years to come. :)

take care,

/ What is this and should I be worried? #5  
Moojamboo, I have a 1710. That is a breather, and mine is grimy as well. As long as you regulary check the oil you will be fine.

/ What is this and should I be worried? #6  
Hi all,

Ford 1710, 694 hours, 4wd. (Had the tractor since Feb of this year, so very very new to me, used to be father in law's. This is my first tractor)

If my FIL had given me that tractor I'd be callin' for some warranty work.:laughing: