Bought my first ford!

/ Bought my first ford! #1  

PhillyPhlyer40

Tractor
Ford 2000 (I think!)
So I bought my first tractor (full size) today! Growing up on a farm, I never knew just how hard it is to find that "perfect for me" piece of iron.

I found mine...i think! :confused:

I went to look at what the PO told me was a ford 2000. It had p/s, and a FEL. He never used the PTO/3pt, only plowed a little snow once or twice a year!

I ordered the Operators and Service manuals...have those on hand! :thumbsup:

I have read through TONS of posts on here (SoundGuy-I have learned SO much from your reply's). So here goes my first (and lengthy) post.....

1-I was told it is a 2000. I have looked high/low/up/down for the s/n's. No luck. (I know, they should be behind the starter-can't find them!) I have found numbers on the side of the trans. It looks to be a 3000. Also, the lift cover - according to the Op manual, is a 3000-it has the limiting function (twisty knob near right ankle :confused2: ) that is listed as only 3000. Not that I really care, but just want to order the proper parts!

2-SLOW FEL lift and "jumpy" 3 pt lift with no load. Looks like the hydraulic fluid is way low, so I am planning to drain/refill-will hopefully make the lift better.

3-Had no P/S. Added 1 qt P/S fluid, works fine now! :)

4-getting quite a bit of smoke (white-ish) out of the breather vent hose. Thoughts?

5-Ok-what is the "pump" that is on the left side (sitting on the tractor) next to the steering column? (The books dont really do a good job of showing what this part is)

6-What type of PTO do I have??? 8 speed-4 w/high/low. The PTO does not turn with rod thrown in the "off" side. PTO turns with rod pushed back, both with the clutch in and out. I am thinking it might be live, but when I engage the PTO it kinda "jumps" teeth on gears. Note-I do not have any implements yet, so I dont know if this is minor or not. I would think that if it was live it would not grind/make gear teeth jumping noises. Thoughts? (Stuck 2 stage clutch???) How can i tell if it is true live PTO??? I am lost on this!
6A-if it is a 2 stage clutch, would the clutch have like 2 miles of travel? It seems the pedal moves a total of 12", with the tractor moving on the last 5" of travel and 2" of free play at the top. Thoughts?

7-Noticed it is hard starting when hot. It has the holley carb... :( Think its worth it to upgrade now, or wait and see just how hard it gets to start?

Think thats it for now. :D Thanks in advance for any help!

/ Bought my first ford! #2  
the sn, model id and date code should be on the flat of the bellhousing ( tranny ) aft of the starter. sometimes on a diesel it gets obliterated.. but a gasser should still have them intact.

hard starting? check spark. As for the holley.. your call. many people swap to a (spendy) zenith vs dinking with rebuilding the holley. that's between you and your wallet and carb rebuilder to think about.

8spd twin stick should be a live dual stage clutch. sounds like the pto section may be froze up especially if not used alot.

check that ps pump.. see if it gets low again..

white smoke? hopefully it only did it once after setting and now not doing it. otherwise keep an eye on coolant ( usage or oil in it ).. and look for water emulsion in the oil.

undrside of hood may have a data tag if it is still there.

the pump onthe left near the operator is for the 3pt. possibly uoir loader as well, depending on how it is plumbed. if the loader is on the pump.. that's why it's slow.. it's not a very high gpm pump.

diffy and hyds share a oil sump by the way.

soundguy

/ Bought my first ford!
Soundguy...thanks!

Ok, so I have a few things worked out (mostly from reading hours of threads on here! :thumbsup: )...and few new items!

1-I see a flat spot behind the starter. Numbers are there, but hard to read. Looks like someone threw a bunch of numbers on the plate! :(

2-Loader. Put in 1 gal of new UTF from TSC. It raises on par with what my dads old 4000 loader did...seems as if a change/filter refresh is due! :)

3-Coolant looks ok...oil looks fine (its almost black-a good sign that the guy didnt just change it 10 minutes before I got there). No water/foam/ugliness!

4-NEW issue!!! The guy "threw plugs/wires/cap/rotor in the puppy" (his words) to get 'er going 3 years ago. I am thinking I need to do some additional work...and confirm his work was good. Thinking points/etc (hope this had points :ashamed: )plus maybe redo of cap/plugs/wires. Well..to my point.....today, she was working mighty fine. Did some driving around, had a good ole time. But then I went looking for the s/n. Now, she starts up fine, but shuts down sometimes. Seems like it is an electric shutdown. Then, sometimes she starts, sometimes not. When I hang on the starter-all is well! :D (I know, baaad for what is probably an expensive starter). So, my thoughts are this...1-check solenoid, make sure wires (that were touched when I went s/n hunting) are ok. But it doesnt make sense that the engine would keep running while the starter was being held and stop in run position. 2-check the switch in "run" mode. Make sure I have juice to the solenoid.

Now the question-what safety interlocks exist in run? Low Oil? Is that a shut down? I found the oil sender (left side-mid engine). How to bypass? Keep it open, or closed? (I pulled the wire, and it didnt make a difference, so I am thinking close the loop with a jump wire). What other interlocks? High temp? This is from cold engine, so if anything it would be the sender not the temp of the engine.

Also-one last question-I pulled the engine dipstick (no idea why???) while teh engine was running. Seems to be quite a few drops of oil came out. Too much pressure in the engine? (Could this be causing my oil out the breather?) Do they have a PCV valve? Any thoughts?

Wow-sorry for so many questions. I have excellent mechanical skills, (I feel!), and look forward to really putting this iron to work soon!:drool:

Edit to add...so I was really ticked, and the pouring down rain stopped here. I went outside, and verified that I do have 12V at the coil (both sides) with ignition on. Dont think its that...but what I DID find, is that the PO put the center wire on the coil withOUT the dust cover. I pulled the center wire, and it is filled with water! Wonder if this will cuase the issue? This doesnt explain why it seems to run when the starter is turning, but NOT when the key is in "run" position-unless I am just thinking its running with the starter running???!!!!??

UGH...gonna be a LOOOOONG weekend!

Last edited:
   / Bought my first ford! #4  
a bit of blowby out the dipstick hole is semi-normal on an engine with some wear..

should be no shutdown safety switches.. there is however a trans neutral safety switch to prevent starting in gear.

double check the wires.

On a gasser I'm thinking there was a resistor wire to the coil in run, and when starting it is bypassed directly.. so you could have weak spark / extra resistance in the primary line.

points and cap are a PITA to get to ont he gasser.. hope you got small hands :)

post the numbers you see.. i'll decode them for you..

soundguy