1958 ford workmaster please HELP

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have spark at the points but no spark at the plugs! I have replaced coil,points, rotor distributor and still nothing works!
Cant figure it out and am going crazy! any advice Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #2  
There are some very knowledgeable folks here at TBN that might be able to help you, but if not, a better place for the older Fords might be Yesterday's Tractors. Look for the "Discussion Forums" link and under that is a whole section on Ford. You don't need to register to post a question.

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #3  
Plug wires? You didn't mention that you had replaced them yet. Over the years I've had more trouble with plug wires then points.

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #4  
Taylor,

Welcome to TBN. FYI no need to double post under differnt forums, just ends up confusing people. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If you want a wider audience, post under the general topics, if it is more brand specific, the Ford / New Holland. I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of the ford owners also read the general parts/repairs forum.

Hope you get your tractor running.

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #5  
There are a couple of easy checks you might do. Take out the wire for your coil going into the distributor cap. Remove the distributor cap, turn on the key, and use your starter to turn the engine over until the points close. Leave the ignition on. Hold the end of the wire you removed near the engine block while opening the points. You should get a spark to the block from the end of the coil wire. This will ensure the points and coil are getting "juice." Next, have someone turn the engine over and watch for the spark to jump everytime the points open and close. If you have moisture on the wire or it is deteriorated, you might get a little shock surprise, so I recommend holding the wire with a rag or some other insulator.

If you get the spark in the test above, carefully reassemble your distributor cap, making sure the dust cover (if you have one) and the rotor cap are fully down. Sometimes the dust cover does not seat down all the way and this can cause the distributor cap to be too high to make contact with the rotor. If after checking all these things and you do not get a spark, I'd look at replacing the distributor cap.

Here is another "ballpark" setting for the point gap. Use the thickness of a match out of a book of matches to guage the point gap. You can also use two thicknesses of the matchbook cover. This is not scientific, but I've kept old tractors going for years using this method. Good Luck!

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #6  
these also had a clip on the distributor rotor shaft,check and see that the clip is still ther,if not it will allow the rotor alot of play on the dist shaft.

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #7  
Bad coil, I know you said it's new but I've seen a ton of bad "new" parts right out of the box, bad plug wires or coil wire or, this has happened to me once or twice /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, new rotor setting on part of the tractor instead of on the distributor shaft where it belongs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #8  
taylorfarm
I have to agree with bgott. Coil or condensor must be bad. Not that expensive to buy and check with another set.
Lewis

/ 1958 ford workmaster please HELP #9  
I am having the same problem spark how do you check if coil is good with a meter. The cap,rotor,wires,plugs are all new.spark is at points but don't get spark out of cap nor plug wire nor coil wire Any and all help is Appriciated also is there a way to test condenser or resistor behind dash