stuck parking brake?

/ stuck parking brake? #1  

Maineiac508

Tractor
New Holland TC33DA
Hello All,

I've been a follower of the forum for three years now and up until now I've always been able to find answers to my questions through the search feature. I really appreciate the depth of the knowledge base and your willingness to share that with other forum members.

I have a TC33DA which has been problem free. I bought the tractor used with 96 hours on it. It now has just over 325 hours. Based on the owners manual and reviewing lots of posts on the forum, I have done all my own lube, oil, and filter changes.

Here's my delimma. I set the parking brake the other day and when I went to release it 5 minutes later, it felt like the brake did release, but the parking brake level is still in the "up", fully extended position. I can't seem to get it to release and as a result, the brake light is illuminiated in the dash panel. I don't think the brake is still engaged, but I don't dare do too much without knowing what my issue may be.

Any ideas before I end up calling a mobile service guy?

Thanks!

/ stuck parking brake? #2  
I don't have a TC33DA, but on my TC45D, when the parking brake handle gets stiff and sticking, it's a sign I need to disassemble and lube the linkage. There are several pivot points and bushings that get dirty/wet and gum up or corrode over time. If you used it everyday, it would probably never be an issue, but if it sets for awhile, sometimes the "works" get stiff.

/ stuck parking brake?
Thanks Jim. I'll crawl up under her tonight and take a look to see what I can see. I have 800 bales of hay coming on Friday and want to make sure things are squared away with the tractor before I start moving hay wagons around.

I assume that if I do a Google search I will be able to find a diagram of the brake linkage assembly for lube points etc.?

/ stuck parking brake? #4  
   / stuck parking brake? #5  
Alternatively, it may just be a problem with the switch that operates the light. When I got my TC29D the switch was bypassed and I had to replace it.

/ stuck parking brake? #6  
The P/B return spring may be broken or has worked out of the bracket causing this issue.

/ stuck parking brake? #7  
The few times I have left my parking brake on and tried to move I usually heard a groaning sound and knew something was wrong.

Another way to tell if it is still on would be to jack up the rear and spin the tire. I know when I was installing my chains last year the rear tires would turn freely with the parking brake off.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

/ stuck parking brake? #8  
The PB cable is probably getting tight in its sheath. A little lube applied to it might help. Short term, try pushing the T handle down after releasing the brake. Check the return spring as others mention. A new cable is a last resort if needed.

/ stuck parking brake?
OK. I just climbed out from under to take a look. The area is generally "clean" it that there is not gunk and junk jamming things up. I will post my photos shortly.

I tried to push the T handle down, but it will not budge. It is fully extended and feels just like it does when the parking brake is engaged. I removed the nut and T handle in order to pull the brake cable through the chassis to get some lube in and see if was jammed up inside the cable. I do not think that is the case.

Although I did not jack the tractor up to see if the rear would spin in neutral, I do go back and forth a few times and i do not think the parking brakes is holding the tractor back - no resistance. I looked at Messicks and on the NH website for a brake diagram but I struck out in both instances.

Before I disassemble the entire assembly I thought I would share a few photos to see if anything out of the ordinary might jump out at guys.

Any ideas?

Brent

/ stuck parking brake? #10  
If the handle won't budge,the ratchet pawl may still be partially engaged if the spring is broken or disconnected.

I have also seen instances where the pawl has been extended to the point it actually falls under the ratchet tab on the pedal. This usually happens when the brakes are applied too hard and the P/B cable is pulled too tightly when setting the P/B. Usually all it takes to reset in this case is to stomp the crap outta the brakes while simultaneously pushing down on the cable.