3-Point Hitch Missing lift arm ball!

/ Missing lift arm ball! #1  

KenPauling

Silver Member
Tractor
Now Holland TN 65D with Cab
This is strange. I went to put on a 3 point hitch attachment on my TN65D and noticed something was missing! The ball at the end of one of my lift arms was gone! Anyone ever have this happen to them? I have had trouble finding a replacement ball and only an aftermarket one was available in my area! The exact size retaining pin has been impossible to find. Even the local New Holland dealer didn't have one. He said it took a metric pin and he didn't have any.

/ Missing lift arm ball! #3  
Ken, Oh Yea, the balls fall out... :eek: Pricey little buggers to... There should be a keeper spring on the outside of the lift arm that keeps the balls in place. Open the spring, turn ball to flat spot, and will lift right out. (or bounce out by its self) on mine the spring got week and wouldn't keep the ball from falling out. I had to keep a pin thru hitch. Balls come in cat 1, and cat2 and is the reason for being able to replace. Check out the other side, and should find the spring. At least that is how mine work. Good luck.

/ Missing lift arm ball!
I think the keeper pin got weak or was defective and fell out. This let the ball rotate to the position which it just falls out. The story isn't over! I called corporate New Holland on their new "one call for all" hotline when I couldn't get a new ball or keeper anywhere locally. They were very nice and promised to find out where I could get a new ball and keeper pin that will fit. I have been waiting since Saturday! I'm glad, I don't make a living farming. It seems something as simple as a lift ball and pin is taking corporate NH days to find!

/ Missing lift arm ball! #5  
I thought I was the only person this happened to. About a year ago I went out to hook up the brush hog and crap.... I'm missing one of my balls :laughing:. Luckily I called my NH dealer and he sent me one pronto.

/ Missing lift arm ball! #6  
This is strange. I went to put on a 3 point hitch attachment on my TN65D and noticed something was missing! The ball at the end of one of my lift arms was gone! Anyone ever have this happen to them? I have had trouble finding a replacement ball and only an aftermarket one was available in my area! The exact size retaining pin has been impossible to find. Even the local New Holland dealer didn't have one. He said it took a metric pin and he didn't have any.

This has happened to me. The balls are avaiable at most equipment dealers and they cost about $5 each. the pin or retaining clip is another story. You may have to get that from CNH.

/ Missing lift arm ball! #7  
The story isn't over! I called corporate New Holland on their new "one call for all" hotline when I couldn't get a new ball or keeper anywhere locally.

The hitch balls on TN tractors are different from the old Ford hitch balls on Thousand series and other models. You are not likely to find what you need at TCS, Rural King or whatever. But you don't need to get dramatic, any New holland dealer can get both the ball and clip overnight if you want to write the check for shipping, or within less than a week on stock order, freight free. A well-stocked dealer will have both cat I and cat II balls on the shelf, I know I do. The retainer clip is of metric dimension, but can easily be crossed over to a generic small hairpin clip by means of a simple visual comparison of the remaining clip on the other arm to the various sizes of hairpin clips hanging on the wall at the store.

/ Missing lift arm ball!
Hi RickB! I didn't mean to get dramatic but my local dealer couldn't find any reference or diagram in his books on the ball I needed! I gave him my tractors serial number and series number and still no luck! I agree it should be a simple "I"ll order you one and it will come in a a few days." So far, I've gone into 3 hardware stores, Lowes and tractor supply and have not found an exact replacement retaining clip. I found one thats the same diamater but a little short. I'm going to call Messicks today and I'm sure they will be able to help me. By the way, thanks for all your input on this forum. You help make it a great place to get help and information. Ken

/ Missing lift arm ball! #9  
New Holland parts books for this model tractor are hard to follow sometimes. This is a common part lost and any New Holland Dealer should have some instock of Cat I and Cat II. The hair pin can be sub with a standard size pin anthing in the hole will keep the ball from falling out.

Maybe you will get lucky and the missing ball will sprout and you will have a bumper crop

Good Luck

/ Missing lift arm ball!
I hope it sprouts without rain! My garden is just about lost, due to lack of rain in July. The good news is, I only mowed about 50 acres in the last two weeks. All I have to do is walk the 50 acres and it will be waiting for me!