2120 Advice from owners/previous owners

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #1  

duglong

Tractor
duglong@hotmail.com
Hi all, I am new to the forum, and new to actually owning a tractor. I grew up helping out on farms, but never had to deal with "knowing" the equipment, just using it. Now I own a 1994 Ford 2120 and I would like to know what I should look out for maintenance-wise. I thought I read on a forum that they have PTO issues, but I cant find the same thread anymore. Are there any really weak points? Any upgrades that I should make to mitigate the possibility of something breaking?

Also, looking for a good brush hog, and I am pretty sure I will go with a 5' based on what I have seen on boards and forums. Any advice on make/model?

Thanks for all your feedback in advance. I hope to be a regular on here and learn a lot from you veterans.

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #2  
Block your clutch pedal when not in use.

Also, don't ride your clutch. It's an expensive and time consuming repair.

I have the 1920 which is a the little brother to this one.

Search for "stuck clutch" for some past repairs.

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #3  
I've only had my '93 six years so can't testify to weaknesses. I've replaced a tie rod end, a block heater, and the usual filters, coolant additive and lubes. It's ready for a steering knuckle seal, but that only seeps. I've never blocked the clutch and it's never bothered (shed kept since new).
This is a simple reliable tractor with good power and controls. The EHSS is convenient and the tractor is comfortable.
I think you should consider a 6' brush hog: I have a 5' and it's never underpowered. It seems wasteful to run this motor at 2200 to spin it and only mow an actual 4' wide. A 7' would be too much in some of my grasses/weeds.
Congratulations anyway - you'll enjoy this rig for years if you take care of it.
Jim

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners
Thanks for the advice everyone. Will a 2120 really be able to use a 6' bush hog? I was looking at the Bush Hog 285 because the 286 suggest a minimum of 40 PTO HP. I don't wanna break anything on my tractor, and I will from time to time be cutting some pretty thick stuff.

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #5  
6' brush hog is no problem for the 2120; had one for years. Occassionaly check the bolts that attach the engine to transmission; they do loosen up. Great tractor. Make sure not to miss front axle pivot grease fittings.

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #6  
Just bought a 6' Woods for mine this summer after having a 5' for years. For field mowing it's great and has lot's of power. I mow trails also and it's a little big for a lot of spots and I kept the 5' for that.

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #7  
"6' brush hog is no problem for the 2120; had one for years. Occassionaly check the bolts that attach the engine to transmission; they do loosen up. Great tractor. Make sure not to miss front axle pivot grease fittings"

Hi, Is there a chance that the oil leak that has started from my 2120 is down to those bolts? Are they easily reachable?
Many thanks
mike

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #8  
They are exposed. Lay down under and look up. I think they are 3/4". I had to tighten mine once, a couple years ago, but there was no leak. I've usually got a drip from one of the loader lines, and I banged the power steering cylinder once, so that has a slight drip, no biggy, but if it's engine oil or coming from the housing I'd be checking it out. Valve covers need snugging up on occasion.

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #9  
Thanks Tom.

/ 2120 Advice from owners/previous owners #10  
I friend of mine suggested that the bolts my have actually 'strecthed'. Sounded plausable so I got replacement bolts directly from my dealer and suprise, the new ones were actually longer than the originals and there was plenty of thread in the housing to take these longer bolts. Tightening did not make the leak go away. While there is no gasket I'm sure there was some kind of sealant applied when assembled. There are bolts on top which require some disaasembly to get at to tighten.