TN90F Shuttle replacement...split tractor

/ TN90F Shuttle replacement...split tractor #1  

Charles

Tractor
Ford 545D
Hi,

I am going to fix the shuttle in my TN90F. I have the shop manuals. I have never split a TN90F. I will remove the cab first. Then follow the instructions in the shop manual. I think it will take me weeks/months to complete the job. I have done other jobs almost as crazy. My question is.....

What Else Should I Be Replacing When I Crack This Tractor Open?

About the tractor a little history.
The tractor was used on a vinyard primarily to tow equipment up and down steep hills. The rims are put on so it has a wider stance. It was used daily for a total of 9100 hours. I use it for mowing and plowing snow. The engine has some freshening up done to it. I have owned the tractor for a few years. It runs strong with no noises or smoke ... that shouldn't be there ;-)

Its a manual 4 speed with 4 ranges and a manual shuttle.
Its push button 4x4 with super steer
It has push button diff lock
It has 2 remotes
It has 9K hours on it
Its a 2002.
It has a 500/1000 rpm pto. the manual (remove pin) switch type not the lever select type

If you can think of things I should replace or check along the way, I would be happy to hear em. Or tips. Or anywhere I can get more info.

Thanks,

Charlie

/ TN90F Shuttle replacement...split tractor #2  
Since you will have the tractor open, I would think it worth checking your clutch group out after 9000 hours of pulling heavy equipment. Although it will probably be fine, splitting the tractor is a big enough job that you don't want to be doing it again in 8 months.

/ TN90F Shuttle replacement...split tractor
UPDATE

So, If you are interested, this is how I checked/fixed the synchros and clutches in my TN 90f

I built a frame 20' tall and attached a chainfall hoist to the beam.

Removed the cab slowly after disconnecting all the various lines and linkages.

Was able to turn the wheels by hand and even steer since the hydrolic steering was disconnected. so i pushed it into my garage.

I do not have hoists in my garage so i used jackstands and floor jacks to support the various bellhousings.

I followed the instructions about splitting the bell housings. I used plastic felling wedges so that I could slowly seperate the pieces without jerking the tractor off the jack stands. It took some force to get the pieces to seperate.

I checked the shift forks and synchros, the fork was bent (primary reason for job)

Now, all i have left is to assemble the double clutch assembly and attach the bellhousing to the engine.

I am now stuck as I need a centering dowel that costs over 300 bucks. anyone have any ideas where I can get one cheaper?

thanks,

Charlie

/ TN90F Shuttle replacement...split tractor
svcguy, I did end up buying new clutch plates an getting the housing turned seems worth it :)