BAG
    Tractor
    '69 Ford 4000

Default Newbie with Ford 4000 Rear Axle Leak

I have a 1969 Ford 4000 with a leaking left rear axle. The tractor has been parked in my driveway for a month or so and there is a pretty good size puddle by the tire. The local New Holland dealer quoted me $600 to replace the seal. Is this a difficult repair to make? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Alex
    Alex

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Newbie with Ford 4000 Rear Axle Leak

is it leaking at the outter side ofthe trumpet near the hub? or inner side near planetaries / brake rod.. or a 3pt arm mount? or pto shaft and then running down?

chek yer service manual and parts manual for a breakdown.

do you have the tools and equipment, including stands, cribbing and preferably a cherry picker or overhead hoist to do the repair? if not... then it's 'easier' to pay someone to do it.

soundguy

Tractor
    fords

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    is it leaking at the outter side ofthe trumpet near the hub? or inner side near planetaries / brake rod.. or a 3pt arm mount? or pto shaft and then running down?

chek yer service manual and parts manual for a breakdown.

do you have the tools and equipment, including stands, cribbing and preferably a cherry picker or overhead hoist to do the repair? if not... then it's 'easier' to pay someone to do it.

soundguy
    it wouldn't be the 3pt arm mount because they pin into casted ears that hang down like on a 5000. i would be checking the brake rod seals first because they are easy to change. if it is the axle seal by the hub you will have to remove the tire finder lift arm brake rod and trumped housing off the rear end then remove the brakes if you dont have cut them out and them press the axle out of the trumped housing. So it could be a real easy job or a major job but nothing in between

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by whodat526 View Post
    it wouldn't be the 3pt arm mount because they pin into casted ears that hang down like on a 5000. i would be checking the brake rod seals first because they are easy to change. if it is the axle seal by the hub you will have to remove the tire finder lift arm brake rod and trumped housing off the rear end then remove the brakes if you dont have cut them out and them press the axle out of the trumped housing. So it could be a real easy job or a major job but nothing in between
    i asked about the 3pt arm mounts for him to look if it was running down there from the pto shaft seal and dripping off. seen lots of leaks that ran a few feet then dripped far from where they were leaking... thus I wanted him to check out the actual location of the leak.. not so much the location of the drip...

soundguy

BAG
    Tractor
    '69 Ford 4000

Thanks for the input guys. It appears the leak is from the end of the axle immediately inboard of the rim. The fluid drips onto the inside of the rim. I have the tractor parked in my driveway and the ground slopes slightly downhill toward the leaking side. It has been sitting there for a few weeks and there is a pretty good sized puddle on the concrete adjacent to the tire.
    Alex

Tractor
    fords

Quote Originally Posted by BAG View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. It appears the leak is from the end of the axle immediately inboard of the rim. The fluid drips onto the inside of the rim. I have the tractor parked in my driveway and the ground slopes slightly downhill toward the leaking side. It has been sitting there for a few weeks and there is a pretty good sized puddle on the concrete adjacent to the tire.
    you rear axle seal is leaking and that is a major job if u dont have a few big jacks and chain falls