Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what?

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #1  

pinkpixybug

Tractor
4835 Ford Newholland
We have a seppi flail deck, the roller bolt snapped off flush and the easy out broke off flush, nothing seems to drill into the easy out, any ideas?

the bolt is a 9/16 grade 8 forged steel, yikes

the easy out is a snap-on brand

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #2  
depending on size you may be able to shatter it with a punch, hole saw around it and use a larger bolt or thread insert or EDM which will burn it out.

I have much more success with a left-hand drill bit, heat and penetrating oil as opposed to broken bolt removal with an easyout

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #3  
try welding a nut to the easy out.

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #4  
try welding a nut to the easy out
Pretty much the only way I've had any luck removing easy-outs ( I hate the da** things).
Weld a washer on first, that way it'll be easier to see the end of the bolt/easy-out then weld a nut to that. Don't try and turn it all the way first off, work it back and forth slightly in increasing size arcs. You'll probably break a few welds but don't get discouraged, I've spent 3 hours trying to get one bolt out of an aluminum block, you need patience.....mike

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #5  
I'd snapped a tap in an aluminum block and was able to shatter it without damaging the threads, a really small punch with a sharp tip.

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #6  
yep.. punch to shatter first.. past that burn it out../weld to it

soundguy

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what?
Thanks for all the replys,

so far we have tried welding another bolt on and wrenching it out and that snapped so we welded a nut on the end of the threads left from the welded on bolt, that broke too.

we took it to the machine shop and they wouldnt touch it.

Now it is in the hands of a metal worker that said he is going to weld a washer
on to the left-over welded on bolt and weld a nut on top of that then heat the shaft to free up the lock-tite.

The lock-tight has never needed to be heated up before but now it seems to be a good idea.

Not sure i would use an easy out again.

Thanks , we will hopefully be up and running again early in the morning.
Sherrie

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #8  
a chamfer rod would have burned it out.. a peircing tip on a torch would have as well.

BTDT on a easy out proke off in a drain plug that had been worked on by an imcompetent, how hd welded the plug to the parent metal.

soundguy

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what? #9  
If you weld onto the easyout, don't have the ground electrode on the part you want to remove the bolt from if at all possible, as that will possibly weld the two pieces together.

Also, I always use a left handed drill bit with an easy out. Many times, that is enough to either remove the bolt or at least loosen it. They are available at McMaster Carr. (Yes, I know this is too late for this adventure, but maybe next time . . . .)

/ Broke the Easy-Out,,,,,,now what?
after all is said and done, we are left with about a half inch stub (bolt) welded to the bolt that is already broken off in there around the easy out,
we are down for the night and will find out tomorrow how easy it comes out welding a washer on like we shoulda before. thanks , wish us luck.