1992 3930 Fuel filter service

/ 1992 3930 Fuel filter service #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Lessons learned:

1) Order the gaskets for the sediment bowl too.

Manual says service the sediment bowl with the filter, filter only comes with enough gaskets for itself. (Parts cost, always a battle, and I'm guessing more than a few guys don't touch the sediment bowl, at least not every time).

2) Careful with the big gaskets for the top/bottom of the bowl, filter - they are not the same ! I figured that I needed 2 drain plug gaskets (safe bet, at this vintage), but as it turned out, the biggest reason that the sediment bowl assembly was often damp was that the previous owner had swapped the top and bottom housing gaskets. (Top one, on my '92, is smaller than the bottom one).

Surprisingly, with old gaskets and top/bottom swapped, that only the tiniest amount of seepage was happening - woulda chased this down sooner, had I known....

3) Bleed process is quick/effective. One bleed screw on the filter housing, one on the pump body.

Had the sediment bowl off twice (see #1, above), filter housing apart once. Both times, was able to bleed the air out first shot - and I'm usually not that lucky.

One more thing done on the Fall To Do List. :)

D.

/ 1992 3930 Fuel filter service #2  
That fuel filter is used in probably several thousand engine applications worldwide well beyond Ford/New Holland uses. Most don't use that exact water separator, even in the FNH world. Supplying the seals for the separator with the filter would be wasteful and inefficient most of the time. Many aftermarket suppliers don't even include the filter bowl gaskets.

/ 1992 3930 Fuel filter service
Hi Rick - I hear you, in terms of general aftermarket parts logistics. I did buy the filter (actually, all my 3930 parts, even anti-freeze) from a NH dealer.

I posted this:

1) To save other people from this glitch. It's a bit of a drive for me to get OE parts, but some folks are hours or days away from a gasket.

2) I'm not putting that many hours on the tractor at the moment, so wanted a note living here in part to compensate for my lousy memory !

3) Not as a whine, I own my projects cradle to grave. I now have 3 extra housing bottom gaskets, will have 3 top housing gaskets the next time I'm by the NH dealer.

I make mistakes, just not big on repeating 'em !

I come from an ultra competitive business sector (electronic hardware), so I've been conditioned to always think about better service options/efficiency.

I like the NH dealer I've dealt with, they've always done me right relative to what else is out there. That being said, anybody that's done any wrenching always appreciates an on the ball Parts Counter guy.

"If you are doing that service, do you have these gaskets, fittings.... too ?"

That could easily save somebody $20+ in gas, and $xx in lost time, for the sake of a minor part or 2. Now a days, counter staff with the parts knowledge can be rare, but why not automatically put that Additional Needed Parts prompt on a part screen and/or the cash-out screen ? A parts supplier would only have to do that once, to guarantee my return business.

Again, the above is not a rant (I normally reserve that for gubmint lunacy), just musings over a coffee on a rainy day...

I own my projects, it was my oversight, and I like my NH dealer.

Wrench on :thumbsup: D.

/ 1992 3930 Fuel filter service #4  
Hi Rick - I hear you, in terms of general aftermarket parts logistics. I did buy the filter (actually, all my 3930 parts, even anti-freeze) from a NH dealer.

I posted this:

1) To save other people from this glitch. It's a bit of a drive for me to get OE parts, but some folks are hours or days away from a gasket.

2) I'm not putting that many hours on the tractor at the moment, so wanted a note living here in part to compensate for my lousy memory !

3) Not as a whine, I own my projects cradle to grave. I now have 3 extra housing bottom gaskets, will have 3 top housing gaskets the next time I'm by the NH dealer.

I make mistakes, just not big on repeating 'em !

I come from an ultra competitive business sector (electronic hardware), so I've been conditioned to always think about better service options/efficiency.

I like the NH dealer I've dealt with, they've always done me right relative to what else is out there. That being said, anybody that's done any wrenching always appreciates an on the ball Parts Counter guy.

"If you are doing that service, do you have these gaskets, fittings.... too ?"

That could easily save somebody $20+ in gas, and $xx in lost time, for the sake of a minor part or 2. Now a days, counter staff with the parts knowledge can be rare, but why not automatically put that Additional Needed Parts prompt on a part screen and/or the cash-out screen ? A parts supplier would only have to do that once, to guarantee my return business.

Again, the above is not a rant (I normally reserve that for gubmint lunacy), just musings over a coffee on a rainy day...

I own my projects, it was my oversight, and I like my NH dealer.

Wrench on :thumbsup: D.

Point taken, from another perspective.

/ 1992 3930 Fuel filter service #5  
G'day i'm guessing that the filter you replaced is a cav style filter if that is the case then a baldwin BF825 will fit and for the last twelve months or so there have been 3 seals come with these filters (over here at least ).

Jon

Thnx for the note Jon,

It is a CAV pump. Filter needs a top and bottom housing seal (bottom one is slightly larger than the top), an O ring for the tube that goes into the centre of the filter, and the kit I got also had an O ring for the filter mounting bolt. As already commented, some aftermarket companies supply no seals with the filter - for my setup, I'd say 3 seals is the minimum that I'd want to have.

Baldwin has a good rep here too, I'll have a look at that PN.

NH price is about $8 Canadian for their filter, which didn't seem too crazy to me.

Thnx, Dave.

/ 1992 3930 Fuel filter service #7  
G'day no worries Dave the baldwin filter has the three large square section 'o' rings you need as well as the post seal and the bolt seal, and they are def cheaper than N/H we sell them over here for about aus $5

Jon

That seems like a good price Jon - Canuck $ was close to the Oz $, in days past at least.

Thnx again for the data.

Rdgs, Dave.

/ 1992 3930 Fuel filter service #9  
I have purchased 2 fuel filters (from the NH dealer) for my 1990 3930 and both sets of gaskets would not fit the bottom of the filter. They were too big and caused a vaccum. I wound up installing the filter with no gasket at the bottom and it bled fine with no leaks, and cranked right up. I am going back to the dealer with a part number from the website for just the bottom gasket and then compare it to the 2 gaskets that came with the filter to see what the problem is.

Scottish ancestry combined with OCD means that I usually conserve the old gaskets from a service like this - I had to make do with one old one till I got my MIA gasket sorted out.

It would be nice to think that something like a fuel filter would come with a complete gasket set (what I was on about, earlier), but after feedback from here, and also a few pros I know, it seems that thinking is a bit overly optimistic.

I'm looking at this now as Plan for the Worst (don't do a service in the middle of a critical Must Have Working Now time frame), and Hope for the Best (a full gasket suite provided with a filter).

I haven't had time to play with it yet, but I'm hearing good things about Messick's Parts engine on their website - you might try there, if you haven't already, to source/confirm PN's.

Rgds, Dave.