Heads up to TC26DA Owners!

/ Heads up to TC26DA Owners! #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
The TC26 DA is getting old enough now that there might be some owners out there who are not original owners and not on the mailing list from CNH, so I thought I'd put this up as a warning: There is a service bulletin out on oil: When you add oil, or change oil in the TC26DA (don't know about other models, but it would seem logical that at least the TC23DA would have the same problem.) Be VERY careful to pour the oil in S-L-O-W-L-Y. I also would take the precaution (that seems logical though for all I know it might make things worse) of having the engine well warmed up for oil changes so that it's still warm when you replace the oil as well.

Apparently, pouring the oil in fast (as the very large oil fill invites you to do) can DESTROY the engine. I also take the precaution of, after filling slowly, letting the tractor sit for 10 minutes or so to allow all the oil to flow into the oil pan, then checking again for level before starting.

The service bulletin came as a total surprise to me. I had changed the oil a couple times myself after the dealer did it the first time.

Just went down and got the bulletin. Hadn't seen for a while and it indeed covers a whole bunch of models. The number of the bulletin is 0606-T3 and it covers TC23DA, TC26DA, TC30, TC35A, TC35DA, TC40DA, TC40A, TC45A, TC45DA, TC48DA, TZ18DA, TZ22DA, TZ25DA, TC29DA, TC33DA, MC22, MC28, MC35, and commercial front mowers.

I think someone put a thread about this up in the past, but there is always the chance of new owners of used machines out there that haven't seen it.

There are further instructions in the bulletin regarding how to address the problem if you believe oil has gotten into the breather valve into the intake manifold and cylinders.

Last edited:
   / Heads up to TC26DA Owners!
Sorry, folks, the title of this thread should really be heads up to all, but I don't seen any way to edit that, or for me to delete it and start from scratch..

/ Heads up to TC26DA Owners! #3  
And just how does pouring the oil too fast destroy the engine? That's the silliest stuff I've ever heard!

/ Heads up to TC26DA Owners!
Thanks, Wrenchguy. I knew that was there somewhere, and I had forgotten that the service bulletin was linked there as well.

/ Heads up to TC26DA Owners! #7  
Wow....

This goes hand in hand with the skill set and quality control I have dealt with over the last several months with New Holland... What a mess, and how on earth did they not catch this design flaw?

/ Heads up to TC26DA Owners! #9  
I was recently considering a used TC26da but have passed on it due to this serious problem.

I've heard of two engine failures due to this oil issue. I always regarded New Holland as a well engineered, top brand.

I think this would reduce the appeal of any of these affected tractors in the market. Too much risk for me!

/ Heads up to TC26DA Owners! #10  
I was recently considering a used TC26da but have passed on it due to this serious problem.

I've heard of two engine failures due to this oil issue. I always regarded New Holland as a well engineered, top brand.

I think this would reduce the appeal of any of these affected tractors in the market. Too much risk for me!

Apparently, it's not just NH models. The problem seems to be with the ISM (IHI Shibaura Machinery) engine design used by several manufactures.