1600 No start

/ 1600 No start #1  

Trever B

Tractor
1976 Ford 1600
Hello all, new to the forum. The post is long, but I wanted to explain my problem as thorouhgly as I could.

I have a 1976 Ford 1600 2cyl diesel that I have been renting from a good friend at work to prepare 2 acres of land for seeding lawn grass. I have put approximately 14 hrs on the tractor so far. When I went to start the tractor up a couple of weeks ago, it would not start. It will crank, but will not fire. It was running fine up until then, full power, good idle. I have checked/cleaned several items to no avail. The fuel tank was ス full. The fuel filter housing/filter was cleaned and replaced/ bleed according to the owner痴 manual.

The tractor acted like it was getting no fuel. In the previous startings there was always a little smoke coming from the exhaust stack during cranking. Now while cranking, there was no smoke. I decided to check the fuel delivery from the injection pump, so while cranking, my friend cracked the fuel line at the pump and nothing was coming out of either port at the pump.

After finding this forum, which is great by the way, I decided to investigate further. With an exploded view of the injection pump in hand, I pulled the rear cover off. All parts and pieces were in place, nothing was broken. I did noticed however, that there was very little oil. I know the this topic has been discussed on this forum, man searches and I don稚 believe there was the proper amount of oil in the pump, maybe a little as half. I proceeded to removed the side cover to expose the springs, pinion etc. Again, all was in place and nothing broken. No oil was in this reservoir at all. Is this normal?

Next, I decided (well actually my friend) to turn the motor over by hand and watch things 杜ove? What I observed next is what I believe to be the issue here. When the camshaft pushes up on the roller and the spring assembly compresses, it does not return. The springs seem to be sticking. Therefore there is no ability to push fuel out of the pump, through the fuel lines and into the injector.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Does this make any sense? Is there something I can do with the injection pump on the motor? I really would like to get this tractor running again for my friend without taking the pump off the motor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Trever

/ 1600 No start #2  
inline pumps need lube in the cam boxes.

I've never worked on a 1600.. but have seen the simms inline pumps, and when either run dry, or left unserviced so that they are full of diesel.. bad things happen.

lube it to it's fill point and exercise it a bit by pulling it and see what it gets you..

ps.. I'd be pricing an injection pump and keeping that # in the back of my mind :(

lastly.. make sure the fuel stop is not stuck in the stop position cutting rack off.

soundguy

/ 1600 No start #3  
oh. and welcome to TBN!

soundguy

/ 1600 No start #4  
Are you preheating the glow plugs before you try to start it. These engines require the use of glow plugs when ever the engine is cold. Are the glow olugs working. When you bled the fuel system did you have the hand throttle pulled down so the fuel was on. Did you try loosening the fuel lines at the injectors and cranking it over.
Bill

/ 1600 No start
Hooked - Yes I use the glow plugs to start every time and yes they work. The engine never had any problems starting, especially in the summer months. Yes, the throttle was pulled down during the bleeding process and yes the fuel lines were loosed at the injectors while cranking.

Soundguy, when you say "lube it to it's fill point and exercise it a bit by pulling it and see what it gets you.." you mean fill the injector pump with oil
and pull the tractor with another vehicle? By this you are hoping that the stuck part will work its way loose? That thought had crossed my mind but I fail to see how this will work when the springs stays stuck high off of the cam lobe and does not return down to be pushed back up. Basically, the spring gets pushed up the first revolution and does not return back to its seated position for a few minuites. So essentially, the injection pump cam just spins and pushes on nothing.

After studying the exploded view of the injection pump on the CNH website I believe what is stuck is the plunger (#6 on the attached file). This rides on the tappet (#15) which follows the lobe of the cam (#29), much like an automotive valvetrain to let air into the cylinder. Can this plunger assembly by removed from the top by removing the Injection Holder (#10)?

Has anyone here dissambled a 1500, 1600, or 1700 seriers injection pump? They are very simular.

Thanks for everyons suggestions thus far. I want to use this as a learning experience, but in the end, if I can't get it done I will take it to a seasoned pro (relunctantly):(

Attachments

• 001NHNA-26718.gif
    001NHNA-26718.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,362
   / 1600 No start #6  
i think it needs alot of lube if it hasn't already galled or seized..

soundguy

/ 1600 No start #7  
If #6 is the issue on one cyl you would still have fuel to the other cyl. Do not try taking the pump apart. It will get verry expensive to have the pump repaired and calibrated if you try working on it yourself. The service manual says it is not serviceable. This means they don't want any one other than a pump shop to work on it. Pumps don't normaly go bad while a tractor is parked for a short period of time. They usually start acting up while running and get worse and worse over time . If it was running fine when you parked it the pump is not the problem. Did you make sure you are getting fuel to the pump? Could you be sucking air at the sediment bowl. I know when I ran my 1900 out of fuel it took a while to get all the air out of the system.
Bill