Snow Ford 1700/2WD/Snow-Blower?

/ Ford 1700/2WD/Snow-Blower? #1  

TBowman

Good morning:

I'm going to an auction tomorrow to check out a Ford 1700 (2WD). (I know the seller, and I know the tractor has been well cared for.)

I checked out the specifications on Tractor Data, and a front PTO is listed as "optional".

My question: if I wanted to use a snowblower, do I need the front PTO? Is that option only available on the 4WD version of the tractor, or can I install it on the 2WD? (The 4WD version is listed as "optional" on Tractor Data.)

I have a long driveway, and I think a snowblower would be pretty cool. (If it won't work, I can use a blade.)

Thanks.

/ Ford 1700/2WD/Snow-Blower? #2  
1700 tractors are about 30 years old. Finding options for it will be problematic at best. As a guess your best option would be to use a rear mounted snow blower. I have 4WD but no front PTO or mid-mount PTO.

/ Ford 1700/2WD/Snow-Blower? #3  
You would also need to add aux. hydraulics to raise and lower a front mount blower. The 1700 is a great tractor but I wonder how well it woud do in the snow being 2wd. What tires are on it.
Bill

/ Ford 1700/2WD/Snow-Blower? #4  
You would also need to add aux. hydraulics to raise and lower a front mount blower. The 1700 is a great tractor but I wonder how well it woud do in the snow being 2wd. What tires are on it.
Bill

While my 1620 is 4WD, when I plow snow I put tire chains on it and mainly use it in 2wd. Chains deliver much better traction on snow and ice than when I just ran 4wd.

tractor_with_plow.jpg

/ Ford 1700/2WD/Snow-Blower? #5  
Here is a photo of a Ford 1700 4wd with the blower attachment up front. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Ford 1700.jpg
    Ford 1700.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 1,081