Ford 1620 power loss under load

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #1  

tryentolearn

Tractor
Ford 1620
New to the forum and to diesel's; looking for advice. I have a Ford 1620 with 760 hours. Recently changed the hydraulic filter, hst filter, oil filter, and fuel filter. I bled the fuel lines by turning the bolt out that is on the top of the fuel injector pump (fuel stream shoots out) and then I also bled the lines at the injectors themselves by loosening each inlet on the 3 injectors and turning engine key till diesel was spitting out. Now that's what I did and then shortly within 20 hours of use I noticed a loss of power when under load (mainly going up any incline it looses RPM's and almost dies; if you stop the tractor goes back to correct RPM's). This happens in high, med, and low. During the time it almost dies it puts out lots of smoke and looks like it is starving for fuel. I since checked fuel level, air filter, front of radiator, pulled the fuel filter back off and checked flow seems good, & re-bled fuel lines. Also all my other fluid levels look good. I think it is a fuel related issue. I appreciate any ideas?

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #2  
What color is the smoke. Black smoke would mean it is starving for air. White smoke would indicate starving for fuel. Blueish smoke would indicate lack of compression. You have covered the basic checks. I am thinking possibly bad fuel. Try taking the fuel line off at the pump and make sure you have plenty of flow to the pump. You could have a restriction in the tank.
Bill

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #3  
New to the forum and to diesel's; looking for advice. I have a Ford 1620 with 760 hours. Recently changed the hydraulic filter, hst filter, oil filter, and fuel filter. I bled the fuel lines by turning the bolt out that is on the top of the fuel injector pump (fuel stream shoots out) and then I also bled the lines at the injectors themselves by loosening each inlet on the 3 injectors and turning engine key till diesel was spitting out. Now that's what I did and then shortly within 20 hours of use I noticed a loss of power when under load (mainly going up any incline it looses RPM's and almost dies; if you stop the tractor goes back to correct RPM's). This happens in high, med, and low. During the time it almost dies it puts out lots of smoke and looks like it is starving for fuel. I since checked fuel level, air filter, front of radiator, pulled the fuel filter back off and checked flow seems good, & re-bled fuel lines. Also all my other fluid levels look good. I think it is a fuel related issue. I appreciate any ideas?

Most problems with a lack of power on low hour diesel engines is due to lack of proper fuel delivery.

You've checked every thing but the strainer in the fuel tank and the fuel like to the filter. They can get crudded up and restrict fuel flow.
The vent in the fuel cap and get lugged and restrict fuel flow also.

The connections can leak air into them on the suction side of the pump.

A line can be kinked or bent. So check these areas also.

Check the tank strainer first.

Incidently, unless your owners manual says otherwise, I'd start bleeding at the top of the fuel filter and then proceed to the pump and then the injectors, in that order. The pump can spit out residual fuel that 's in the line between the filter and the pump but the filter can be empty. The injectors will spit out that same fuel.

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load
Thanks for the speedy replies. Its hard to say the color of the smoke I would say it could be a light color maybe white, I did hold a paper towel close to it and it left some dark spots on it but I assume there is always some in exhaust. I will stair it down again tomorrow to see if I can get a definite on the smoke color. When I was pulling the fuel filter off earlier I opened the valve and the flow from the tank seemed adequate. And when I open the bleeder on top of the injector pump fuel shoots out of there. Tomorrow I will make sure to bleed on top of the fuel filter first. Can't seem to see the best way of checking the fuel pressure from the injector pumps to the injectors. When I bleed the injector lines should fuel flow a lot or just spit out? Maybe the spitting is just due to the action of turning the key? Although I must say it starts up like always and if I were to just let it sit there it sounds great no hesitation. It moves ok on level grounds with slight hesitation. But under load like going up a hill it wants to die. Can you explain where the strainer is? Is this a visible strainer. My dad had a diesel where there was a strainer you poured the fuel through mine does not have this. Thanks again.

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #5  
Just to be on the safe side, check the air filter. It's probably not the problem, but it might have a critter in there making a nest or be something else like collapsing and blocking the intake. It's an easy check to make sure.

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #6  
Bleed it again, starting at the filter, then the pump, then the injectors. Our old 1100 Ford does that same thing if it's not bled well. You would think the air would work its way out, but I have the best luck just bleeding the whole system again.

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #7  
Thanks for the speedy replies. Its hard to say the color of the smoke I would say it could be a light color maybe white, I did hold a paper towel close to it and it left some dark spots on it but I assume there is always some in exhaust. I will stair it down again tomorrow to see if I can get a definite on the smoke color. When I was pulling the fuel filter off earlier I opened the valve and the flow from the tank seemed adequate. And when I open the bleeder on top of the injector pump fuel shoots out of there. Tomorrow I will make sure to bleed on top of the fuel filter first. Can't seem to see the best way of checking the fuel pressure from the injector pumps to the injectors. When I bleed the injector lines should fuel flow a lot or just spit out? Maybe the spitting is just due to the action of turning the key? Although I must say it starts up like always and if I were to just let it sit there it sounds great no hesitation. It moves ok on level grounds with slight hesitation. But under load like going up a hill it wants to die. Can you explain where the strainer is? Is this a visible strainer. My dad had a diesel where there was a strainer you poured the fuel through mine does not have this. Thanks again.

There is a line that runs from the tank to the fuel filter. Usually the tank end of the fuel line has a valve on it to shut off the fuel from the tank. The strainer is usually a part of the valve assembly and is a a screen type device that acts as a coarse filter. It sits at the bottom of the tank. and is ahead of the valve.

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load
I removed the filter and did the entire bleeding process again. No change. I did feel like when bleeding at the injector lines that 1 of the 3 was not spitting as much fuel. Since I had to get on my tractor to push in pedal so I can turn the key I was only able to see the top of the line where I broke open each line to bleed at the injectors. I messed around pulled off the injector line and blew it out to make sure there was no obstruction. After re-assemble and bleeding again I noticed some bubbles at the base of the injector where it tightens into the engine. I don't have a wrench big enough for it and the crescent wrench is to big. I need to go buy a bigger wrench, size unknown, bigger than my 3/4" and 18 mm. Anyone know the size? Or do I need to take off the injector assembly and get a socket on it? Is there a specific torque setting? Any ideas about this will help. Do you think this could be causing my loss in power?

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #9  
There is a copper washer on the bottom of the injector that acts as a seal. It is not uncommon to see a few bubbles there. It will usually seal up when the engine warms up. This is not what is causing your problem. I would drain some of the fuel into a clear jar and let it sit for a few hours and see what it looks like. Seafoam and Power service are both additives I could recommend to add to the fuel. Was the new fuel filter identical to the old one.
Bill

/ Ford 1620 power loss under load #10  
How long have you had this tractor. Was it running fine before you serviced it.
Bill