Ford 6610 Timing Help

/ Ford 6610 Timing Help #1  

mojust84

Tractor
1985 Ford 6610, 1982 Ford 4610, 1982 John Deere 4840, 1988 John Deere 210c
I have a bit of a situation. I pulled the injectors and pump in a hurry the other night to get them to the rebuild shop and didnt bring the tractor up to BTDC on the compression stroke before hand. I have since gone back and turned the flywheel to 27 degrees BTDC like the manual calls for but i have no idea whether I am on the compression or exhaust stroke.

My question is when i get the pump back it will be timed to tdc on cyl 1 and I need to have the tractor at 27 degrees btdc on the compression stroke. Does anyone have any pointers or ideas on how to do this. I have heard you can pull the valve cover but I am not familiar on what to look for.

Also does anyone know the correct firing order for this tractor so I can be sure of which is actually cyclinder "1" and so on?

Thanks in advance for any info you all may have. The tractor is a 1985 Ford 6610 with the Simms inline pump.

/ Ford 6610 Timing Help #2  
You should got to ytmag and put Question for RodinNS in your title. He knows this series of Ford inside out. There are a few guys on here that do too but they might not see this thread. By pulling the valve cover you can see the order in which the valves open and close. Watching the intake valve close at the end of the intake stroke, you're near bdc on the compression stroke. Keep turning and you'll get to TDC. I presume there is an indexing mark or something to line up before TDC?

/ Ford 6610 Timing Help
Slowzuki thanks for your recommendation. I went ahead and posted over there. Although he hasnt replied yet i have already received one reply that was very helpful and I am looking forward to testing it out this weekend. Here is the reply I got from a very helpful member named Bern in case anyone ever comes across this with a similar question:

Easiest way to tell is to line the two marks up on the pump and then bolt it up. If you cannot see the pump marks through the hole in the timing gear, you are 1 complete engine revolution off. Turn the engine 360 degrees, return to 27 degrees BTDC and you"re ready to go.

/ Ford 6610 Timing Help #4  
what is the injector pump timming on Ford 6600-degrees on the flywheel

/ Ford 6610 Timing Help #5  
I think the firing order is 1342. Pull the valve cover and look at the push rods. If you are on the compression stroke, both #1 push rods will be loose. It will be a good time to adjust the valves anyway. When you are moving the flywheel to 27, it is a good idea to move it in the direction of rotation. If you go past 27 then back up and move it forward again and stop on the mark. Get an IT shop manual. They aren't too expensive and have good info.
Gary