1715 3 point hitch

/ 1715 3 point hitch #1  

Kosmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
Hi all,

I tried this in the general parts forum but got no response so will try here. I haven't had to replace any 3 point parts on my NH 1715 until now, so i don't know whats out there. I bought a new rear blade for the tractor and it required an adjustment on the 3 point stabilizer chains but the turnbuckles are frozen solid on both sides. I twisted and cracked the metal on the eyebolt trying to budge them. This looks like an item that should be plentiful in the aftermarket trade but I dont know. Online searches haven't been very fruitful. Can anyone tell me if this is just a generic type of item that I can just get at any tractor supply? It certainly looks like it should be. The ones I've seen sold online look to cost about $75 for a pair. Is that about right? Seems kind of expensive. Thanks.

/ 1715 3 point hitch #2  
I have the same model 1715 and I have been buying parts from Messick's online. I first go to the New Holland USA website for the part numbers (their sight loads and works easier for the numbers and drawings) then I write down the part numbers and plug them into the Messick's site for availability and price. The parts for the turn buckle setup that you are looking for can be purchased individually and yes they are like most other tractor parts very expensive. If you are looking to replace with aftermarket you want to make sure that they have some type of a load rating, there is quite a bit of force applied when using some implements. I looked on the McMaster-Carr website and you would pay about the same but the size would be off some and if you need to replace the end that bolts to the lower arm you would have to buy from the dealer. Depending on which part is broken you might be able to have it welded. For the future get some lube on the threads of the turnbuckle (lube is a lot cheaper than replacing parts).

/ 1715 3 point hitch #3  
Hi all,

I tried this in the general parts forum but got no response so will try here. I haven't had to replace any 3 point parts on my NH 1715 until now, so i don't know whats out there. I bought a new rear blade for the tractor and it required an adjustment on the 3 point stabilizer chains but the turnbuckles are frozen solid on both sides. I twisted and cracked the metal on the eyebolt trying to budge them. This looks like an item that should be plentiful in the aftermarket trade but I dont know. Online searches haven't been very fruitful. Can anyone tell me if this is just a generic type of item that I can just get at any tractor supply? It certainly looks like it should be. The ones I've seen sold online look to cost about $75 for a pair. Is that about right? Seems kind of expensive. Thanks.

You might just measure it and check with a local tractor dealer and see if they have a similar piece.

Search "side link". I saw a few on ebay for around $25-40.

The best investment I made was adding the hydraulic top and tilt kit to my 1715. It completely replaces the turnbuckles with a cylinders. I have three levers, top, side-to-side tilt and ripper teeth up/down.

/ 1715 3 point hitch
Jetskier,

Would that hydraulic kit allow for tilting implements etc., I bought my back blade with tilting notches so I could cut ditches. The holes for tilting however don't give you much play. How much does a setup like that cost?

/ 1715 3 point hitch
Wow,

Just priced the replacement parts for this stabilizer. This thing is less then a foot long and weighs less than a half pound and they charge $163 for the components to replace one of them (Don't even sell tham as a complete unit). I don't care what anyone says, that's obcene. How do farmers survive! This is as bad as getting raked by the drug companies. Who, doing the kind of work that requires these machines, can afford those prices. I can take my busted ones to a fabricator and have them fix them for way less than that price.

/ 1715 3 point hitch #6  
Wow,

Just priced the replacement parts for this stabilizer. This thing is less then a foot long and weighs less than a half pound and they charge $163 for the components to replace one of them (Don't even sell them as a complete unit). I don't care what anyone says, that's obscene. How do farmers survive! This is as bad as getting raked by the drug companies. Who, doing the kind of work that requires these machines, can afford those prices. I can take my busted ones to a fabricator and have them fix them for way less than that price.

I paid $1000 for a 60" Gearmore Box Scrapper and the hydraulic kit (installed). That included the box, three cylinders, 3 lever spool, hoses, and the tap into the system. It can pivot about 25ー each way side to side. I think the side link cylinder is about 8". Top is about 12".

I'm sure you can add the hydraulics alone for under $500-600. Like I said it's nice not to have to get off the tractor to make adjustments.

/ 1715 3 point hitch
Thanks for the pic Jetskier. Nice!

/ 1715 3 point hitch #8  
Jetskier - how does the top-tilt setup keep you from needing sway limit chains? What stops the lower arms from swinging into the tires? Does your box blade have some other provision for that limiting?
Jim

/ 1715 3 point hitch #9  
Jetskier - how does the top-tilt setup keep you from needing sway limit chains? What stops the lower arms from swinging into the tires? Does your box blade have some other provision for that limiting?
Jim

I still have the limiting chains, but I was just offering info on making adjustments on the fly with his blade since he was starting to replace parts on the 3 point system.