Ford 6640 PTO Short

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #1  

bsbjmu

Tractor
Ford 6640
Looking for some advice on my Ford 6640. Everytime I engage the PTO switch, it works for a second and the blows the fuse. We tried replacing the switch and this did not work. We have check most of the wiring pretty good but cannot find a the short. Any suggestions on any other areas that we should be checking for this problem?

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #2  
check the solenoid on the rear end housing that engages the pto

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short
Thanks for the advice. I have attached a picture of a PTO (similiar) to mine. To get to this solenoid, would I need to take off the plate (circled on the attached picture) to do this?

Attachments

• PTO.jpg
    PTO.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 8,503
   / Ford 6640 PTO Short #4  
no the the soleniod is on the left side of the rear axle housing inside but the wires should stick out of the side off the housing in front of the axle housings u must pull the lift top to get to the soleniod if i remember right

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #5  
Check the blue "safety" relay in the fuse/relay cabinet on the right of the dash before you get into rear end. We were having the same problem with our 6640 and bypassed the safety relay. It works fine now. The safety relay senses alt power to keep power going to the pto solenoid so if the tractor stalls or is shut off with pto on you have to cycle the switch to get pto to work again when it is restarted. The relay must of shorted internally on ours causing the fuses to keep blowing. What you must remember is with this relay bypassed the pto will remain engaged if you stall or shut off the tractor and then restart it.

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #6  
Check the blue "safety" relay in the fuse/relay cabinet on the right of the dash before you get into rear end. We were having the same problem with our 6640 and bypassed the safety relay. It works fine now. The safety relay senses alt power to keep power going to the pto solenoid so if the tractor stalls or is shut off with pto on you have to cycle the switch to get pto to work again when it is restarted. The relay must of shorted internally on ours causing the fuses to keep blowing. What you must remember is with this relay bypassed the pto will remain engaged if you stall or shut off the tractor and then restart it.

have same problem would like to know how to bypass safty relay' appreciate any help. aggalise

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #7  
pto on 7740 ford sle will only engage after 15 minutes engine running, then runs for couple of hours, works perfect, then stops for the day. next day same result. any advice.

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #8  
Here's some pictures on how we by passed ours with an inline fuse. it's been working fine now for over 4 years. Just remember If you leave the switch on when you shut off or stall the tractor the pto is on when you restart the tractor.

2015-06-03 18.59.44.jpg 2015-06-03 19.00.19.jpg

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #9  
Thanks for the pictures, looks like one end of jumper goes in the center hot hole. Its not clear to me which hole the other end goes in.
We have not had this tractor long and it came with this problem.
We appriciate your helpful response.

/ Ford 6640 PTO Short #10  
We used the middle and bottom slot on our 6640 Sorry picture isn't clear enough.