Oil & Fuel fuel guage not working

/ fuel guage not working #1  

engelb77

Tractor
new holland tc33d
hi guys i just bought a 2003 new holland tc33d (bought from a private owner). there are a few things that are not working and want to get them fixed. the first thing is the fuel guage is not working always reads empty. second thing is the flashers dont work i have checked the bulbs and fuses. anybody have any suggestions on what to check first? also the tilt steering doesnt work but have read all the threads about that problem already.

/ fuel guage not working #2  
As far as the fuel gage, sometimes mine sticks and I have to rap on the instrument panel with my hand to make it start working. After one rap, it seems to work fine. In your case, you need to decide if it is the the gage or the float inside the tank. Before telling you how to make checks, do you have an ohmeter and do you know how to use it? If you don't, you can't really check the float and level sending resistor. As far as the gage, you can remove the instrument panel from the dash and then see if the needle is stuck. Also, the gage is replaceable if it proves to be the problem.

Your tractor has a NASO flasher unit like is used in an automobile. I'm not sure where it is located on the TC33D, but I'll try to look it up on the parts diagram online and get back to you tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Here is what the flasher looks like.

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Heavy_Duty_Flasher_For_Ford_Tractors_p/114128.htm

Last edited:
   / fuel guage not working #3  
I have a DX33 which is about the same tractor. Twice I have let the fuel get a little low (below 1/4 th) and the needle went all the way empty and stuck there. Both times it eventually started working again. I assume the float in the tank is getting stuck. I used a wire to connect the two screws on top of the tank and the needle would go to the full mark showing the gage itself is good. I now make it a point to not let the fuel get too low.

/ fuel guage not working #4  
In addition to what Jim has suggested on the flasher issue,check the ground wires for the rear main wiring harness on the left rear of your tractor. If it's loose or there is corrosion or rust the ground might not be all that great.

/ fuel guage not working
thanks for the help guys i will check it out