how to check oil with threaded 4wd oil dipstick

/ how to check oil with threaded 4wd oil dipstick #1  

jwalk2c

Tractor
Ford 1520- 1987, Deere Track Loader 455G- 1997, Wheel horse C160 x 3 , 418-8 , 314-8
This is one of those little annoying questions that come up when checking fluid levels. Do you check level with dipstick threaded in or just pushed in snug?
I have a Ford 1520 4WD and I am trying to check the front axle fluid level for the first time since I bought this tractor. I bought it used two years ago but just now getting to the point of doing some work with it.
If I thread the dipstick in the oil level is full. But if I just stick the dipstick in no oil shows on the dipstick.
Thanks so much for all the great info on this forum.
Johnny Walker

/ how to check oil with threaded 4wd oil dipstick #2  
not threaded i do at with my kubota L2050

/ how to check oil with threaded 4wd oil dipstick #3  
Doesn't really matter. You can be further off by having the axle tilted one way or the other on a less-than-flat surface when you check it than worrying about screwing the dipstick in or not. The difference between screwed in or resting on the threads is probably less than a quart of oil. Pick one and be happy.

/ how to check oil with threaded 4wd oil dipstick
Thanks for the help.
I am still puzzled.:confused: The threads are 5/8 long and that is longer than the length of the gauge crosshash area I am dealing with.
I am checking it on level concrete.
By threading in the gauge moves the dipstick more than the lenght of the low and high mark on the dipstick.
I am sure it has plenty of oil in the axle, I am just curious to what is correct.
Thanks again for your help.
Johnny Walker

/ how to check oil with threaded 4wd oil dipstick #5  
What does your manual say ?

In my JD manual it specifically says "Insert dipstick into axle hole but do not screw it into the axle case."

/ how to check oil with threaded 4wd oil dipstick #6  
Look in the book see what it calles for to fill.Then drain,An replace it with the book amount, an check.
Army Grunt