filling/draining sherman trans in Ford 9N

/ filling/draining sherman trans in Ford 9N #1  

frenchie4x4

Bronze Member
Tractor
DK50c
A buddy of mine has a Ford 9N with the axillary Sherman transmission. He has drained water and contaminated oil out of the main transmission while rebuilding the 3pt hydro pump. He also wanted to check the Sherman transmission but it appears to be unaccessable unless you split the trans apart from the motor. Has any one done this? and must you split the trans/engine to do this? As always any advice/answers will be appriciated Thanks Frenchie

/ filling/draining sherman trans in Ford 9N #2  
A buddy of mine has a Ford 9N with the axillary Sherman transmission. He has drained water and contaminated oil out of the main transmission while rebuilding the 3pt hydro pump. He also wanted to check the Sherman transmission but it appears to be unaccessable unless you split the trans apart from the motor. Has any one done this? and must you split the trans/engine to do this? As always any advice/answers will be appriciated Thanks Frenchie

You might go to Yesterdays Tractors website and ask this in Ford N forum. Another source might be John Smith's JusT N's

/ filling/draining sherman trans in Ford 9N
Thanks Jerry I asked my question in Ford vintage tractors here on TBN. I was really tired last night and did not look through all the columns. hopefully I will get a response. Thanks again Frenchie

/ filling/draining sherman trans in Ford 9N #4  
the sherman shares and oil supply with the main trans as oil is pumped thru the bearing.

if he truly wants to drain it he either has to split the tractor or pull the trans cover..

me?

I'd dump in 2.5 gallons of diesel and 3 quarts of ATF fluid, and 4 pints of 90% rubbing alcohol... run her around the yard.. till warm, then drain all 3 drains. then refill with utf or gear oil ( gl1, 3 or 4/5-MT1 ), and then add in 2 cans of seafoam transstune and call it good.

alcohol is a polar solvent.. water is polar.. it will dissolve into soloution vs emulsion and be carried out with the high detergent / solvent flush..e tc. any left over water will be sucked up by the de-watering action of the seafoam ( yep.. also has a polar solvent in it. ).

BTDT

soundguy

/ filling/draining sherman trans in Ford 9N
Thanks, Soundguy all your advice is appreciated.
Frenchie

/ filling/draining sherman trans in Ford 9N #6  
good luck

soundguy