TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear

/ TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear #1  

adamh502

Tractor
NH TN65
I just got a NH TN65 with a few issues. The biggest is that it will not go into 3rd or 4th gear. You can push the clutch in and push into 3rd or 4th gear when you let out on the clutch it grinds and comes out. it will try to pull forward a little. the tractor has 1st and 2nd gear in both high and low and reverse. I am new to owning a tractor so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Is the any thing i can check? fluid looks ok.

Last edited:
   / TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear #2  
Since the transmission is all mechanical, I would be looking at linkage that runs under the platform to the transmission. Or it could be something broke in the transmission itself, but usually that would come with some odd noises when the tractor is moving.

/ TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear #3  
Adam,

I have TN55, just a little fewer HP than your 65.

I bought my tractor new in 2000, and shortly thereafter had a problem shifting into gear -- the linkage was binding/seizing. I'm hazy on this, but I think my problem was getting into 1st and/or 2nd and I don't recall a grinding noise.

My tractor was still under warranty and was repaired by my dealer. I don't know whether there was a recall, but there was apparently a service bulletin on the problem. I have my doubts about whether it's the same problem, but you might contact a NH dealer about the service bulletin.

Let's hope that RickB or another of the NH gurus will chime in.

Steve

/ TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear
Thanks for the info i will keep tinkering with it. I hope it is something simple. I called a service dealer they said it may be the 3rd 4th syncronizer. they said about $2000.00 parts and labor.

/ TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear #5  
I hope it is something simple. I called a service dealer they said it may be the 3rd 4th syncronizer. they said about $2000.00 parts and labor.

Ouch!!

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Steve

/ TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear #6  
Am just a student of mechanic trying to work on that problem and I needs an answers from the expert

/ TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear #7  
Am trying to work on the gears. Gear 1 and 2 goes in smoothly but 3 and 4 doesn't enter. What could be the problems?

/ TN65 NO 3rd or 4th gear #8  
When in neutral and you slide the shift lever from side to side does it move from the first-second gear position to the third-fourth gear position? The external pivot joint on that transmission is the most common shifting problem. Item 2 seizes on item 5. Then the lever won't let you change from one pair of gears to the other.

If that's not the problem, and the gear shift lever will go into all four gear positions but the gears will not engage then you may have sheared roll pin in the third- fourth gear shift fork. That's another matter and will require going into the transmission.