479 haybine

/ 479 haybine #1  

rnh1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
I have an old 479 Haybine that I hit a low stump with. Now I can't get the sickle to go back in. Before the crash I noticed a lot of heat building up on the sickle. What gives?

/ 479 haybine #2  
Sounds like some gaurds might need some adjusting or replacing. You might have a bent cutter bar but lets try it by adjusting the gaurds up or down to get the cutter bar back in and sliding free.

/ 479 haybine #3  
+1 on Art's comment. NH sickle bar bines have adjustable guards and one or more are too tight. One reason I prefer the SCH design. The guards are rigid. Adjustment is self compensating.

You might also have a problem with the back ledger. If it was worn, the 'crash' could have pushed the backside of the cutter sections up on top of the ledger. That binds the sickle, creates heat and causes the bar to squeak.

/ 479 haybine #4  
Make sure the knife bar is straight and square. Then make sure the guards all line up. I find that you can do the job easier if you raise the driven end up about 2 - 3 feet above the level of the cutter pan when you shove it in. I've been known to wack it in with a hammer at a few steps along the way. Be sure to watch out that the knives don't slide above the stone guard caps. It sure helps if there is another person available to watch during the knife insertion to make sure you are all lined up/down and in/out.

If the stone guards don't line up in a level line, use a long piece of 1-1/2" pipe to bend them back into position.

/ 479 haybine
thanks all:)