Ford 1700 clutch adjustment

/ Ford 1700 clutch adjustment #21  
I guess the next step is to pull the steering column and see if there is something simple causing the throwout bearing to hang in a forward position. I just can't figure out what the likely cause of this trouble might be.

Thank you, JC-jetro, for taking the time and effort to help me through this, and take pictures of your tractor.

I advise against it now as you can find all you need without doing so. Again, all I was trying to tell is " you can visually check if the bearing is riding the fingers or not".

Were you able to look at the last pic I posted. Can you identify the finger visually? If you do so then it is quite easy to see if the bearing surface is touchging the fingers or not. Steerin column does not need not be taken off to verify that. It takes a flash light only. This can be done visualy without a split and 1700 access hole would afford you that. That is a great feature of this tractor.

You can verify one finger at a time though. So again going back to raising the axle to afford you turning the wheel so you can check all the 3 fingers of the pressure plate.

Do look at the picture of the pressur plate that I posted earlier on a tractor split. You must identify the fingers and verify if it is touching the bearing or not. This does not require a tractor split or steering column removal.

JC,

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 clutch adjustment
The throwout bearing is touching the fingers.

/ Ford 1700 clutch adjustment #23  
The throwout bearing is touching the fingers.

Do you see the retaining spring thru the hole? the sporing helps the bearing carrier to retreat to normal position. is it missing? disconnect the pivot point as it is shown below. get a rubber mallet and hit the arm that turns CW and CCW. That might free up the bearing holder on the shaft. I'm thinking if the bearing holder does not easily slide on the input carrier shaft. visually inspect from the hole. with the pivot removed the arm should be easily move back and forth till you hit the pressure plate spring.

JC,

I can't see a retaining spring; that only means I can't see it, not that it is or isn't there.

I've tried moving the arm when I disconnected the clutch pedal. It has some free play in-perhaps 1/4" to 3/8"-clockwise/counterclockwise. I haven't tried driving the bottom arm toward the front of the tractor, since that's where the end of the threaded rod would be.

/ Ford 1700 clutch adjustment #25  
I can't see a retaining spring; that only means I can't see it, not that it is or isn't there.

I've tried moving the arm when I disconnected the clutch pedal. It has some free play in-perhaps 1/4" to 3/8"-clockwise/counterclockwise. I haven't tried driving the bottom arm toward the front of the tractor, since that's where the end of the threaded rod would be.

No it should be moving a lot more than that. to the extent of activating Neutral safety switch as pictured previously. I think your bearing carrier is frozen(rusted) to the shaft. Pic below also shows the spring I'm talking about. looking thru the hoe and you should be able to see the top spring and a small mirror can enable you see the spring on the bottom. it is time for you to get the big guns, 4 lb sledge hammer that it:D you need to free it up at the very least.

JC,

Won't it only activate the safety switch when the clutch pedal is depressed (down facing arm of bell crank is pulled back)? I can press the pedal down and fully disengage the clutch. The free play I was talking about was with the linkage detached, and the bell crank had some movement fore and aft; that is, it didn't feel tightly bound. I could move it with finger pressure, but to depress the clutch springs I'm too weak to move it much with my fingers.

Thank you for all the pictures, it's really going to prove useful. I appreciate your time.

/ Ford 1700 clutch adjustment #28  
Won't it only activate the safety switch when the clutch pedal is depressed (down facing arm of bell crank is pulled back)? I can press the pedal down and fully disengage the clutch. The free play I was talking about was with the linkage detached, and the bell crank had some movement fore and aft; that is, it didn't feel tightly bound. I could move it with finger pressure, but to depress the clutch springs I'm too weak to move it much with my fingers.

when the pedal is pushed in the bracket does tow things, one side of it activate the neutral safety switch and the other side rotate a shaft (goes thru bell housing) that pushes the bearing carrier forward. There are couple of pins that keeps it on the shaft from slipping and it has a back up wire to keep the pin from coming out. Although it is quite unlikely, it might have sheared off not allowing correct manipulation of of pedal. you can't fight the pressure plate spring by hand. After all of this, when the fingers not touching the bearing, then do you see less or no gap between pressure plate and friction disk? that's the key discovery.

JC,

After all of this, when the fingers not touching the bearing, then do you see less or no gap between pressure plate and friction disk? that's the key discovery.

That's the thing, I can't get any clearance between the fingers and the bearing. I know that is the trouble, I can't figure out how to isolate what is keeping the bearing forward, especially since there is slack in the bracket.

/ Ford 1700 clutch adjustment #30  
That's the thing, I can't get any clearance between the fingers and the bearing. I know that is the trouble, I can't figure out how to isolate what is keeping the bearing forward, especially since there is slack in the bracket.

The holder/bearing can slide forward and return to normal position. If another person pushed the pedal and you watch thru the hole with a flash light you might be able to see where it sticks. I don't know if the springs can sprung out due to breakage hence touching the bearing all the time. if you look at the pic of the pressure plate on one my earlier page you see big spring right under each finger and a pivot point on the opposite side of the finger. if the pivot popped out then I can see the tip of finger touching the bearing at all time.

JC,