Default TC40DA Glow Plug Timer

My timer stopped working, after researching on here that it would need to be replaced, i decided what the heck and tore it apart to see what made it tick. to my surprise i found a broken solder joint, a quick easy fix in the long run.

Tractor
    TC33D

Default Re: TC40DA Glow Plug Timer

Quote Originally Posted by DiverDarrell View Post
    My timer stopped working, after researching on here that it would need to be replaced, i decided what the heck and tore it apart to see what made it tick. to my surprise i found a broken solder joint, a quick easy fix in the long run.
    It pays to be inquisitive, glad you saved some money.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

That's pretty neat! I saved my old timer, so maybe I need to do some experimenting also. My timer was coming on and going off at odd times, so it probably was not a broken wire, but you just never know since it could have been making intermittent contact due to vibration. For the price we pay for these things, you'd think they would be bulletproof, but the only thing that's bulletproof seems to be the profit margin. New Holland's price is nearly $70, but you can buy the timer on eBay for $13.95 with shipping included. Sure sounds like a New Holland profit center to me.
    Jim

Tractor
    NH TC40D

My timer was doing the same thing as Jinman's. I hooked up a test light and jiggled some components until I found the one with the bad solder joint. That was 2 or 3 years ago, been fine since.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40DA

Had the same problem, but after replacing three breakers one at a time I decovered it was was caused by the wiring harness. It was routed in such a manner that when the side pannel was installed and pressure was applied to line up the bolt holes it put pressure on a breaker causeing the problem. Now I have three new breakers, maybe I will need them in the future.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by stump1 View Post
    Had the same problem, but after replacing three breakers one at a time I decovered it was was caused by the wiring harness. It was routed in such a manner that when the side pannel was installed and pressure was applied to line up the bolt holes it put pressure on a breaker causeing the problem. Now I have three new breakers, maybe I will need them in the future.
    Do you mean relays instead of breakers? The fuses and a single breaker are under the instrument panel and never come in contact with the side covers. Unless you are talking about something other than a TC40DA tractor, there are no breakers anywhere else. However, all the relays and safety modules are located under the left-side cowling panel.
    Jim