Will not enough clutch free play cause damage?

/ Will not enough clutch free play cause damage? #1  

edrobyn

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1920
I bought a Ford 1920 about two months ago and when I first got it I couldn't engage the PTO without the gears grinding. I know that this has a dual clutch and the clutch had about 1" of free play from the top of the travel. I adjusted the free play to almost nothing so that now I can engage the PTO fine but I am afraid that I may be causing another problem because of too little travel. I could play with the travel and see if I can get a bit more travel and still have the PTO work but if I am not causing any damage the way it is now and both clutches engage well otherwise should I be concerned?

/ Will not enough clutch free play cause damage? #2  
I bought a Ford 1920 about two months ago and when I first got it I couldn't engage the PTO without the gears grinding. I know that this has a dual clutch and the clutch had about 1" of free play from the top of the travel. I adjusted the free play to almost nothing so that now I can engage the PTO fine but I am afraid that I may be causing another problem because of too little travel. I could play with the travel and see if I can get a bit more travel and still have the PTO work but if I am not causing any damage the way it is now and both clutches engage well otherwise should I be concerned?

When you have little free travel, be especially careful about the operator riding the clutch with his foot when using the tractor. When the operator is not using the clutch pedal, his foot should be off the pedal. Ken Sweet

/ Will not enough clutch free play cause damage? #3  
Well I don't know about yours but I will tell you my Branson 5530 is being put back together as we speak. It got a new clutch, Pressure Plate, Throw Out Bearing and Pilot bearing last spring ... then a few hours into operation it would not shift and the dealer advised me to adjust until it shifted ... I did and then a few hours later a noise ... turns out I over adjusted the clutch and caused the T.O. bearing to fail.

/ Will not enough clutch free play cause damage? #4  
Blueriver hit the major problem. If the throw-out bearing (thrust bearing) is constantly in contact with the pressure plate fingers, it may overheat and seize up. Supposedly, they are sealed bearings, but most are not designed for constant use. If the TO bearing siezes up and it's in contact with the pressure plate fingers, then the fingers will be damaged. If you have 3/4" play in the pedal before the TO bearing makes contact, even if it seizes, you can release the pedal when you hear the noise and the pressure plate will probably survive. TO bearings are a lot cheaper than pressure plates, but honestly, splitting the tractor to replace either one is a big job, and would make me try to adjust the clutch free play for the longest life of all components.

/ Will not enough clutch free play cause damage?
I looked up a drawing of how a clutch works. I had an idea of the basics on how a clutch worked (basically a plate that is spinning and one that is not until they are engaged). What I wasn't sure about is how the TO bearing and pressure plate worked. I think I see it now. So, if the clutch is not fully disengaged (ie the free play) the TO bearing keeps spinning the whole time because it never fully releases from the pressure plate? And the TO bearing is not designed to do this?

Does this mean that I have lots of wear still left on my clutch plates because thicker plates would require more clutch release travel and therefore less free play?

Also since I have a dual clutch there are two clutch plates and two pressure plates?

Last edited:
Thanks that helps quit a bit. So can anyone answer my question regarding clutch free play vs. thickness of the clutch plates?

/ Will not enough clutch free play cause damage? #8  
You need a service manual. You can find them on ebay for under $100. It will be the best money you spend. A whole lot cheaper tha $1700 for a clutch and pressure plate.. On the dual clutch the is an internal adjustment that has to be made from the left side plug of the bellhousing for the pto clutch. Here is how you adjust the dual clutch on my 1900. I think the 1920 is the same but I am not sure.
Bill

/ Will not enough clutch free play cause damage? #9  
Thanks for weighing-in on this, Bill. I looked at the diagram on messicks.com and thought there was an adjustment for the PTO portion of the clutch, but didn't know for sure and would not say that without having something more. I think you are right. The transmission clutch will surely wear more than the PTO clutch and need to be adjusted more often.

Thanks, I will try to find the access plug.