Temp sensor

/ Temp sensor #1  

tcreeley

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TC30
I'm putting in a threaded temperature sensor this weekend in my NH TC30. I'm used to using teflon tape and pipe dope for threaded plumbing joints. Should I do the same thing for the threaded temp sensor and just screw it in straight? Sometimes threads are cut on a taper and as it tightens, it seals - but I don't know if this is the same for sensor. What do you think?

/ Temp sensor #2  
I'm putting in a threaded temperature sensor this weekend in my NH TC30. I'm used to using teflon tape and pipe dope for threaded plumbing joints. Should I do the same thing for the threaded temp sensor and just screw it in straight? Sometimes threads are cut on a taper and as it tightens, it seals - but I don't know if this is the same for sensor. What do you think?

The thread must have a slight taper to seal. Adding Teflon would not harm anything. Actually most of the Pipe Fitters worked on my project in the past used both teflon and dope for good measure. I changed in screw in pressure sensor on my 1700 and did use a bit of teflon. I'd avoid teflon on Hydraulic system but would not envision any problem on water system. I guess it just boils down to personal choice.

JC,

/ Temp sensor
I put the sensor in without any dope or tape. The original didn't have anything and it looked it had an edge designed to butt up against the housing (brass sensor) and sealing offf leaks.

/ Temp sensor #4  
I put the sensor in without any dope or tape. The original didn't have anything and it looked it had an edge designed to butt up against the housing (brass sensor) and sealing offf leaks.

If it doesn't leak you are OK. As long as the threads don't gall.

/ Temp sensor
Doesn't leak - time will tell on the galling. Maybe being bathed with antifreeze may help.

/ Temp sensor #6  
Did the sensor fix the problem? Did you post that it was fixed in a different thread? Sorry,:eek: I'm having a senior moment trying to remember.:laughing:

/ Temp sensor
New sensor and thermostat - did them at the same time- problem is fixed! -Thanks for the info!