1974 Ford 3400- Select-o-Speed Questions

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Select-o-Speed Questions #1  

TBigLug

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 401C
Just got my new tractor home this afternoon and got a chance to work it a little bit. Now on to the nit-picking part of the new toy phase.

How do you adjust the inching pedal? When I step on it it doesn't fully disengage the power from the axle and the pedal bottoms out against the floor/axle/housing/piece of metal that allows no more travel. I have the "1965-1975 Ford Tractor Service Manual" (all six million pages) along with the "Ford Operators Manual- Industrial Tractors- 3400, 3500, 3550, 4400, 4500". Neither one gives any information on adjustment of the pedal. The OM indicates on pg. 19 under "Starting Forward Travel" that the inching pedal is used like a clutch (I know it's not actually a clutch) to start moving forward or to start moving backward. "With the engine running at low idle and the inching pedal depressed: Shift directly to the desired gear ratio........ let the inching pedal up slowly until the tractor moves off smoothly." The SM says nothing about adjustment of the inching pedal (that I can find). It dances around every other component in the area but not the pedal itself. Is it as simple as driving out the roll pin, clocking the pedal up one more notch and reinstalling the pin? theoretically letting the pedal disengage the power more completely?

Can the gear selector be "tightened up" at all? There's a lot of slop in the handle right now.

What fluid does it take? Is it Universal Tractor Trans/ Hydraulic Fluid, All Season Hydraulic Oil, RENEW Tractor Fluid, Dexron ATF or some crazy NH special only fluid?

Is R1 that fast in every tractor? Seems like it FLIES when you shift it in R1.

I know :laughing:some:laughing: parts for these are hard to come by but is there a place to still get them?

Anyhting else I should be looking for or into?

Biggest problem I have is with the inching pedal. I don't feel that the tractor is safe if I can't (more importantly my wife can't) step on a pedal and have the thing stop.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate all the help.

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Select-o-Speed Questions #2  
There is no adjustment for the inching pedal. If you have the complete service manual for the Ford Thousand series, you have the best source of information for the selectospeed transmission ever published. Read it. Your transmission uses oil meeting New Holland's MC134D specification. Many SOS owners choose to use only genuine New Holland 134 oil. Other oils meeting that spec are commonly available from a variety of sources.

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Select-o-Speed Questions #3  
Just got my new tractor home this afternoon and got a chance to work it a little bit. Now on to the nit-picking part of the new toy phase.

How do you adjust the inching pedal? When I step on it it doesn't fully disengage the power from the axle and the pedal bottoms out against the floor/axle/housing/piece of metal that allows no more travel. I have the "1965-1975 Ford Tractor Service Manual" (all six million pages) along with the "Ford Operators Manual- Industrial Tractors- 3400, 3500, 3550, 4400, 4500". Neither one gives any information on adjustment of the pedal. The OM indicates on pg. 19 under "Starting Forward Travel" that the inching pedal is used like a clutch (I know it's not actually a clutch) to start moving forward or to start moving backward. "With the engine running at low idle and the inching pedal depressed: Shift directly to the desired gear ratio........ let the inching pedal up slowly until the tractor moves off smoothly." The SM says nothing about adjustment of the inching pedal (that I can find). It dances around every other component in the area but not the pedal itself. Is it as simple as driving out the roll pin, clocking the pedal up one more notch and reinstalling the pin? theoretically letting the pedal disengage the power more completely?

Can the gear selector be "tightened up" at all? There's a lot of slop in the handle right now.

What fluid does it take? Is it Universal Tractor Trans/ Hydraulic Fluid, All Season Hydraulic Oil, RENEW Tractor Fluid, Dexron ATF or some crazy NH special only fluid?

Is R1 that fast in every tractor? Seems like it FLIES when you shift it in R1.

I know :laughing:some:laughing: parts for these are hard to come by but is there a place to still get them?

Anyhting else I should be looking for or into?

Biggest problem I have is with the inching pedal. I don't feel that the tractor is safe if I can't (more importantly my wife can't) step on a pedal and have the thing stop.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate all the help.

the only place i know to get any parts is and people with any knowledge of these trans is Rippee's salvage in Farmington Mo the most likely have every part for that trans laying on the self and the man by the name of RIP knows everything about them

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Select-o-Speed Questions #4