Loader 1974 Ford 3400- Loader Questions

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Loader Questions #1  

TBigLug

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 401C
My 3400 has a good heavy duty front end loader on it with a front mounted PTO pump. I need help identifying what loader it is? There are two numbers stamped on the side seperated by the Ford symbol. Top one reads 291496 or 291486 and the bottom reads 172. What fluid is used? Where do I add fluid (if needed)? I know the resevoir is in the posts in the back and there is a vent in the top of the LH one. Is that where I add? Where do I check the level? It has no leaks but I want to be sure it's all hunky dory. What is the lifting capacity?

Thanks.

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Loader Questions #2  
It is probably a 730 loader. Look for a data plate in the inner side of one of the loader arms, near where the rod end of the lift cylinder mounts. Oil level is 10-12 inches below the fill cap/ breather with the loader bucket flat on the ground.

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Loader Questions #3  
Post some pics and we can probabally help identify:thumbsup:

There were a few versions of industrial loaders that could have been used. But the 730 was (i think) the most common and the one made for it.

If the link works, does the frame look like this? 19-498 FRAME ASSY.

As to the lift capacity, I am not sure if it was ever published, but you will probabally not find ant info on it. But it is an indusrtial loader, so it is probabally a lot. And unless you have a BH on it, or some other form of 2000lb hanging off the back, I dont think you will ever run out of lift capacity. You will just lify the back of the tractor if the item is too heavy.

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Loader Questions #4  
The lift capacity on my 735 loader is listed as 3770 lbs. Those industrial loaders are beasts.

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Loader Questions
1974Ford3400-FirstPics006Medium.jpg

1974Ford3400-FirstPics007Medium.jpg

/ 1974 Ford 3400- Loader Questions #6  
It does indeed look like a 730 loader.

That vent IS where you ad the fluid.

Dont fill it clear full. The oil will need room to expand when it gets warmed up.

As to the fluid, I am sure ford spec'd their own oil. But you can use any universal hydraulic fluid and be just fine. Like the traveller stuff at TSC. Because all the fluid does is go through a pump and cylinders. It doesnt mix with the transmission/rear end fluid like on a lot of tractors. That fluid has to be specific because ot the clutches, wet brakes, etc.