Loader Loader Weak

/ Loader Weak #1  

benmaser

Tractor
New Holland T2310
Just took delivery on a 2007 New Holland T2310 (excellent condition, 750 hrs, just service). I had a new TL250 loader added to the machine. Went to lift a load with the pallet fork yesterday which is under the 2000 lb capacity of the loader (probably 1300 lbs). Could not lift the load. The engine did not strain (only slowed slightly with throttle about 2/3 open) and there was no odd "pump" noise. As i eased back on the 2 spool control and started to lift the load, it just would not come off the ground even with the control in the full lift position. It felt like the hydraulic fluid was just bypassing the system. Does a relief valve need adjustment? Is there air in the system and can that really make that big a difference? Can the relief valve be adjusted without damaging the hydraulic system? Thanks!

/ Loader Weak #2  
I would call the dealer that installed the loader and see if they set the releif pressure. If not have them come out and set it. It has to be set with a guage. You also have to realize how the loader lift capacity is measured. Some are measured at the pivot pins and some are measured 2' in front of the pins. If your is measured at the pins and you are trying to pick a 4' pallet you are loosing a lot of lift capicity because the load is 4' in front of the pins.
Bill .

/ Loader Weak #3  
Ben, you have lots of things that are "probably" in your post. You need to know exactly what the hydraulic system pressure is before doing any adjustment. Since your tractor is new your dealer should be happy to do that for you, but if transporting is an issue, you might need to check with the service manager to see if they have a pressure gage to loan to you. If not, you will need to build one for your own use.

You unhook one of the quick connects going to the loader and then plug in the gage. Rev the engine up to about 2000 rpm and then move your joystick for maximum reading on the gage. Your system should read 2500 psi. The pressure is adjusted by inserting shims into your relief valve. I would not suggest that is something you should do without knowing exactly what you are doing. If you get pressure too high, you can easily blow seals out of your hydraulic pump.

You mentioned the 250TL lifting 2000 lb. That's true if you don't have a bucket or pallet forks attached and you are lifting right at the lift arm pins. On a good day, your loader will be able to lift 1600-1700 lb on pallet forks if the weight is close to the loader. If it is out on the forks, you'll never lift it. You said that your load was "probably" 1300 lb. How did you come to that conclusion? If you are satisfied that the load was actually 1300 lb, then I agree that your loader should have lifted it. In either case, you need to get a pressure reading on your hydraulics so you know they are at the right pressure.

/ Loader Weak #4  
yep.. time for a hyd pressure check at the lift cyls... at a minimum...

/ Loader Weak #5  
You unhook one of the quick connects going to the loader and then plug in the gage. Rev the engine up to about 2000 rpm and then move your joystick for maximum reading on the gage. Your system should read 2500 psi. The pressure is adjusted by inserting shims into your relief valve. I would not suggest that is something you should do without knowing exactly what you are doing. If you get pressure too high, you can easily blow seals out of your hydraulic pump.

Can you hook a pressure gauge to any of the hoses going to the loader? Should they all read the same pressure (2500psi)? Is it essentially reading the relief pressure, because it's "dead-heading" the pressure lines? Sorry, for so many questions not pertaining to the OP's problem, but I am in need of some pressure testing myself. Thanks

/ Loader Weak #6  
yes...

/ Loader Weak #8  
I too have tried to lift more than the tractor could handle. The TL250 is rated at 2000 pounds at the bucket pivot pins. It is rated for 1540 pounds 500 mm (20") forward of the pins (about the center of the pallet). The further out the weight the less lifting capacity. Leverage is everything when lifting a heavy load. You have to add the weight of the bucket or forks to the load weight, the loader is rated without a bucket.

I lifted a pallet load of pellets (50 bags, 35 pounds, 1750 pounds total) the other day off the trailer with my TC40DA and 16LA loader, which is the old model TL250. It would not lift level. I had to curl the pallet over the loader arms before it would lift it high enough to clear my trailer by 6". That was as high as I could lift it but it was enough to unload it.

/ Loader Weak #9  
Can you hook a pressure gauge to any of the hoses going to the loader?

I prefer to use the line that goes to the raise end of the loader lift cylinders and the curl-up end of the bucket cylinders. If you use the down side of the lift circuit, you can get into float when/if you move the joystick too far forward. On the curl/dump circuit, you can get into regenerative dump when you go too far to the right with the joystick. So the safest/easiest places to put your pressure test gage is either the loader lift or bucket curl up fittings. As you surmised, there is only one system relief valve, so no multiple test locations are needed. If it reads 2500 psi at any point, it will be 2500 psi everywhere.