3-Point Hitch PTO worn out??

/ PTO worn out?? #1  

obliqueridge

Tractor
New Holland TC29DA
Hey ya'all
we have been trying to hook up our chipper to our TC 29DA tractor. But when we try to engage the PTO we go through all the normal procedure like putting it in Neutral and pushing the clutch all the way down and then moving the PTO lever to the on position. But when we try to let out on the clutch it kicks the PTO lever back it to the off position. I talked to the dealer and he said that its worn out and that we need to bring it up to them. So I am just wondering what should we do and what would you if it were you.?:)

/ PTO worn out?? #2  
You may have some worn or bent linkage from the PTO lever to where it enters the transmission. Thus you may not be getting full engagement and it kicks out. Look for the linkage and check it out. It may be adjustable ... even if not bent. Probably NOT worn out internally.
larry

/ PTO worn out?? #3  
Chipper discs are a heavy load, can you confirm it can spin by hand and feather the clutch bringing it up to speed?

/ PTO worn out?? #4  
Along with what Larry said you also have a detent mechanism (a metal ball and spring) that hold the pto lever in engaged position. I'm assuming you have a live pto (dual clutch set up). Have you tried to use a bungee cord , holding the pto lever in engaged position and try the chipper? if it stays operating with the bungee cord then I think it is pretty good chance that lever adjustment or detent should be looked at.

JC,

/ PTO worn out?? #5  
Nathan, do you run other PTO attachments that perform okay? How long have you owned this tractor? The gears for the PTO are shown to be square-cut gears. If they don't get fully engaged or they wear down to a bevel, then engagement would tend to push the gears apart. This is the point of excessive wear your dealer is talking about. Your linkage between your lever and the transmission is adjustable, so if you are not feeling the indent when you shift to PTO engaged, then your shifter may need adjustment. Trying to hold the PTO engaged while it pops out of gear is only going to make the gears wear more. You need to make sure the gears are fully engaged. If they are and the PTO still pops out of gear, then you'll have to bite the bullet and open the transmission as your dealer suggested.

/ PTO worn out?? #6  
Not really a spring and ball detent on these JC, just a little notch at both ends of the slot in the fender.

I think the other Larry probably has the right track. I would disconnect the linkage and see the extent of travel. I know mine was very difficult to move in the beginning and there was a lot of flex with very little pressure, it seemed like it could be bent easily. Lots of spray lube on the shaft holding the shift levers really helped. There is no zirk here which surprises me.

/ PTO worn out?? #7  
Not really a spring and ball detent on these JC, just a little notch at both ends of the slot in the fender.

Larry, I think JC is talking about the internal shifter fork and sliding shaft as shown in the attachment. Item #11 attaches to the external PTO lever linkage. As it rotates left-right in the slot on the shaft, it moves the shaft ,#15, and the PTO shifter fork, #16. That shaft has a detent ball (#9, 10, 20 I think) and a PTO engage switch , #26, 27, & 28, that drop into the shaft indents. If Nathan's PTO engage light is illuminated, then that's another sign that the shaft is in the fully engaged position. If the light is not illuminated, it would indicate that he needs to adjust the linkage and get the gears more fully engaged.

Attachments

• TC29DAshifters.jpg
    TC29DAshifters.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 761
   / PTO worn out??
I was trying it yesterday,and the PTO engage light was on but when I let out on the clutch it started turning and then it kicked it off. Kinda like when I was half way out on the clutch it started turning but when I let out all the way it kicked off.

/ PTO worn out?? #9  
Seems like a pretty bold statement by the dealer to say the PTO is worn out without seeing the tractor. He may know of a linkage problem like others suggest that is common. It would surprise me if the PTO is truly worn out.

MarkV

/ PTO worn out??
Nathan, do you run other PTO attachments that perform okay? How long have you owned this tractor? The gears for the PTO are shown to be square-cut gears. If they don't get fully engaged or they wear down to a bevel, then engagement would tend to push the gears apart. This is the point of excessive wear your dealer is talking about. Your linkage between your lever and the transmission is adjustable, so if you are not feeling the indent when you shift to PTO engaged, then your shifter may need adjustment. Trying to hold the PTO engaged while it pops out of gear is only going to make the gears wear more. You need to make sure the gears are fully engaged. If they are and the PTO still pops out of gear, then you'll have to bite the bullet and open the transmission as your dealer suggested.
Well we haven't ran any other PTO attachments. We bought the tractor about a year ago and the guy that sold it to us showed us that the PTO worked, but that was without a load.