Gas Tractors

/ Gas Tractors #1  

Down South

Silver Member
Tractor
Long 360
Any opinions on real wire plug wires vs carbon plug wires?

Thanks
DS

/ Gas Tractors #2  
Other than the fact I've had the same copper wires on my IH 240 since 1971, on one Super C since '74, on the other Super C since '87, my Farmall BN since '77. Made the sets myself with a roll of plug wire bought at auction, and boots and caps from NAPA.

Not sure how long a set of carbon wires will last...

/ Gas Tractors #3  
Other than the fact I've had the same copper wires on my IH 240 since 1971, on one Super C since '74, on the other Super C since '87, my Farmall BN since '77. Made the sets myself with a roll of plug wire bought at auction, and boots and caps from NAPA.

Not sure how long a set of carbon wires will last...

Not that long.:laughing:

/ Gas Tractors
I am getting a 1969 4000 Ford gas going, I bought a set of plug wires.
Wile they do seem to jump as they should, The tractor seems a bit weak of fire?

These wires were of the carbon type. I have a spool of wire wire, some terminals and the fancy boots off the new set. So I am trying to convince myself to butcher these new ones and make a real set.

And i need to go to NAPA anyway.

We had a neighbor with a OLD Drag line that burnt so much oil it had 3 or 4 cuts with extra jumps in the wires to get it to run. Maybe the coil too, Hard to remember 40 some years ago.

/ Gas Tractors #5  
You want to put the copper wires on that tractor.

The reason that modern automobiles run carbon wires is for static noise suppression. Unless you're planning on mounting a stereo on that old tractor, use the copper. :D

/ Gas Tractors #6  
Spray silicone helps to slide the new boots on the wire, and die-electric inside the boots to make them easier to come off. Just be sure to slide the boots on, before crimping the ends on... BTDT... :eek:

I don't know about the 4000, but my 2000's plugs set down in a hole. The plug boot has a circular cover, about half way up on the boot, to keep dirt out of where the spark plug is.

Mine is a '65 model, and I believe the wires are original. But it only had 1200+ hours on it, when I got it about 7 years ago...

/ Gas Tractors
I think all the 65 up gas Fords are the same with the boot.

Can you tell if yours are wire wires?

I don't think there were many carbon wires in the 1960's.

This one had 3 different car wires on it, no boots. 1 was a slant 6 Chrysler, well it was a boot of sorts.

/ Gas Tractors #8  
Carbon wires are intended for high voltage ignition systems, and are not the best choice low voltage breaker point ignitions.

/ Gas Tractors #9  
Yep, they are wire, wires... I took a peek at the dist. end when I pulled the cap to tune up. Even has a brass/bronze end on the one battery cable that attaches to a post..!!

/ Gas Tractors
Yep Just cant beat real metal