Oil & Fuel Water Separator Leaking

/ Water Separator Leaking #1  

strum456

Platinum Member
Tractor
Fords
No matter what I do, I can't get the o-ring where the glass bowl meets the aluminum spacer to stop leaking. I have had it on and off, no less than 5 times. I tried new o-rings. All the parts seem to be seating properly. There is not a speck of dirt on any part of it. I am covered with diesel, and really annoyed. Please help!

I noticed there are two different sizes of o-rings that came with my new fuel filter. I tried the smaller one and the bigger one, both leaked. Which one is correct?

This is for a FNH 345d, but the water separator looks the same on a lot of FNH tractors.

/ Water Separator Leaking #2  
Do you have an emissionized engine or a non emissionized engine? Emissionized setups were those after SN A442030. Non emissionized engines had a dual filter assembly while the emissionized ones were a single canister assembly. The filters are different, so is it possible you have the improper filter? It is a common mistake at the parts counter. If you have a 345D that is before SN A442030 you need part #87801434 if it is after SN A442030 you need part #83937061

Which serial numbered unit do you have? What filter?

Hope maybe it helps?

/ Water Separator Leaking
I sure do appreciate the detailed response. I see you are from Sommerset. I am not far from you at all.

My tractor is a 1993 model. It has a glass water trap and a filter. It is the water trap that is leaking. I cant see any chips in it. The o-ring fits tight. I cant see any cracks in the spacer or the glass bowl.

/ Water Separator Leaking #4  
In that case make sure the cone shape in the water seperator bowl is pointing up. That could make a difference. Could there be a burr in the filter housing slot or a possible cross threading issue? I know that sounds dumb, but its always possible. Making sure you have the correct o rings is imperative.

Let us know how you make out.

/ Water Separator Leaking #5  
Using the correct seals is a necessity, and using them in the proper location even more so. The three large square cut seals used in the water separator are two different sizes. The two smaller diameter seals go in the lower locations; the larger one goes into a groove in the filter head. Improper placement nearly guarantees leakage.

Using the correct seals is a necessity, and using them in the proper location even more so. The three large square cut seals used in the water separator are two different sizes. The two smaller diameter seals go in the lower locations; the larger one goes into a groove in the filter head. Improper placement nearly guarantees leakage.

Thank you! That is what I needed to know.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. The problem was a burr on the aluminum spacer. It was keeping it from seating against the seal properly. I filed it off and it's all better.

/ Water Separator Leaking #8  
strum456 said:
Thanks guys. The problem was a burr on the aluminum spacer. It was keeping it from seating against the seal properly. I filed it off and it's all better.

That tends to happen. Glad you got it all sealed up!