Blown Starting Circuit Fuse

/ Blown Starting Circuit Fuse #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Anyone blown the starting circuit fuse? This weekend, had the daughter operating the TC 40D while we were moving some firewood around with the utility wagon and couldn't get the tractor to start after she hauled the last load. Starter switch would turn on and all the dash indicating lights would come on, I could hear the brake safety switch click when I pushed on the brakes, but nothing happened when I turned the starter to "crank". Spent almost an hour trouble shooting, looking for loose wires, bypassing the seat safety switch, checking all connections and looking for voltage at the solenoid when in the crank position. Was thinking I was going to have to see my baby sit out in the rain or try to tow it to the barn with the van - not very pleasing thougths, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif then recalled that someone on TBN had posted before about blowing a fuse on a Boomer. You have to take out the two screws that hold the instrument panel in to get to the fuse block, but that only took a minute and the fuse block is right beneath it and easy to get to. Sure enough, the 7.5 amp fuse that must pull in the starter solenoid, was blown. Replaced that and sure enough, instantly started. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The only thing I can think is that the fuse must be a little marginal for the current draw, (I should check that some time) and the daughter maybe held it in "crank" for a second too long. Any other ideas out there? ... and thanks to all the TBNers who saved me from the long frustrating task of trying to figure something like this out! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Blown Starting Circuit Fuse #2  
I vaguely recall this being mentioned before. The issue was, as you surmised, the 7.5 amp fuse being marginal for the circuit. I think the fix was to insall an 8 amp fuse. Yep, here's a link to a previous thread. I did a search on '7.5'

/ Blown Starting Circuit Fuse #3  
you should see your dealer about this. The 7.5 amp fuse has been replaced with an 8.0 amp circuit breaker because of repeated failures. The circuit breaker part number is 86610928 dealer list price is $7.31 but should be covered under warranty by a good dealer.

/ Blown Starting Circuit Fuse #4  
I had the same problem as well. Just got my TC45D back from having 300 hour service and dealer mentioned he had replaced the battery under the warranty.

Said they blew the fuse on mine when they picked it up. When they were checking service bulletin/notices, they had one from NH that indicated that if battery was not putting out at the high end of the cranking amps, the fuse would blow.

IndianaPaul