Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    ford 3000 / IH 300 Utility

Default Leaking power steering fluid

Once tractor throughly warms power steering fluid will come out at base of steering shaft. Have put in replacement seal at bottom of shaft above gears. Temp. Fixed problem. Is it time for shaft replacement? Almost seems like it is building too much pressure and creating a place to escape. Any response would be appreciated.

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

Default Re: Leaking power steering fluid

What model tractor.
    Bill

Tractor

Ford 3000 diesel 73 model. Sorry that could be important.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by duckwhacker View Post
    Once tractor throughly warms power steering fluid will come out at base of steering shaft. Have put in replacement seal at bottom of shaft above gears. Temp. Fixed problem. Is it time for shaft replacement? Almost seems like it is building too much pressure and creating a place to escape. Any response would be appreciated.
    Does your tractor hve the external steering pump mouted to the back of the timing cover? It's round pump with a resevior on the back side of the pump. if so, they have an internal filter in the resevior. I had a problm with fluid leakage at the steering wheel seal on our Ford 4610 and I changed the power steering filter and the problem ceased. I don't know if your 3000 has the same type of pump, though.

Tractor

Yes that is exactly where it mounts. Currently putting transmission in chevy pick-up. Will pull out manual in a bit and see if this pump has a replaceable filter. Thank u so much for reply. Will keep u posted.
    Greg

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

yes.. it does.

soundguy

Tractor
    fords

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT View Post
    Does your tractor hve the external steering pump mouted to the back of the timing cover? It's round pump with a resevior on the back side of the pump. if so, they have an internal filter in the resevior. I had a problm with fluid leakage at the steering wheel seal on our Ford 4610 and I changed the power steering filter and the problem ceased. I don't know if your 3000 has the same type of pump, though.
    the 4610 has a different style steering sector than a 3000 unless you have a 4610 su. Now to the op if you have changed the seal once and it held a little while you can can the seal and use a speedy sleave on the shaft to fix the worn shaft the seal and sleeve comes in a kit i would change that before i replace the shaft because the shaft is not cheap and you wouldn't wont to change it out with a used one

Tractor

I have over the past 3 years put in two of the kits after pricing the steering shaft. Hoping there would be some other solution. Compared to the shaft power steering fluid is cheep. That being said I would like to have problem fixed.

Tractor
    fords

Quote Originally Posted by duckwhacker View Post
    I have over the past 3 years put in two of the kits after pricing the steering shaft. Hoping there would be some other solution. Compared to the shaft power steering fluid is cheep. That being said I would like to have problem fixed.
    so you have already used a speedy sleeve if so have you tried aplying some jb weld to the shaft and installing the speedy sleeve while its still wet and then wide off all excest. because if you have a speedy sleeve it isn't the seal thats leaking its in between the sleeve and shaft

i have used jb weld a few times and it worked just dont use the quick dry and dont get into a hurry

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

green loctite.. the sleeve retianer stuff is what i put under sleeves..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast