want to install a temp. gauge on D40 tractor like DX models

/ want to install a temp. gauge on D40 tractor like DX models #1  

Big_Lug

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH D40
I want to install a OEM temp. gauge on a D40 but can not get any help from local dealers on what part or parts I need. They have a temp gauge I can install on the instrument cluster but I am sure I need the thermostat and sending unit. Can anyone help. All the D40 has rite now is the idiot light. I know Jinman can help out. I am calling you out Jinman. Please help if you can.

/ want to install a temp. gauge on D40 tractor like DX models #2  
If the D40 has a place blocked off its possible.
You need to look at the instrument cluster for both to see what is different.
Then look at the 2 sending units for size.

On the thousand series Fords the sender is too small but some have drilled and re tapped to use common temp gauges. Then its just mounting the gauge.

I am currently adding a after market tach Into ( same spot ) a 72 Chevy C20 with the deluxe instrument cluster.
I can buy a cluster w tack for 500-1000.00 but the higher ones has the vac gauge too.

The Main cluster is the same,
The plastic over the gauges is different, the main metal housing inside is different. the rear metal cover is different, the printed circuit is different.

Some of these differences can be modified to make work, some cant and you need the right part.

Of course you can hang a bracket and use aftermarket, or even a gauge pod like some of the 60's muscle cars that had gauges mounted on the hood or cowl.

Ds

/ want to install a temp. gauge on D40 tractor like DX models #3  
I want to install a OEM temp. gauge on a D40 but can not get any help from local dealers on what part or parts I need. They have a temp gauge I can install on the instrument cluster but I am sure I need the thermostat and sending unit. Can anyone help. All the D40 has rite now is the idiot light. I know Jinman can help out. I am calling you out Jinman. Please help if you can.

Well, it might be simple and it might be difficult. Let me cogitate a bit and I'll get back to you tomorrow with some details. I'll try to stay away from tellin' sea stories and fairy tales.:laughing:

Cogitation complete: here's the problem. The instrument panel for your economy tractor uses different pin numbers on its connector for the temperature idiot light than the deluxe model uses for the temperature gage. Even if you change the whole instrument panel and put in the resistive sensor on the engine, it will still not work.

Your engine currently has a temperature controlled switch. When the engine heats up enough, the switch closes and provides a ground to the light circuit in your instrument panel. That light is on the left side of the panel as you view it from the operator station. The signal from the switch enters the instrument panel on pin #7 of the connector. That means that not only is it coming into pin #7 on the instrument, but the harness that connects to the instrument panel also has the wire from the switch attached to pin #7. In the deluxe model tractor, the signal from the temperature sensor comes in on pin #15. I think pin #7 is unused, on the deluxe panel, but I didn't search every connection to see for sure. I'm also pretty sure that your instrument panel mating circuit board is not configured for the plug-in temperature gage like the deluxe model is. You can't plug one in on the economy tractor and the deluxe panel uses different plugs in the connector.

I really can't recommend making the extensive (and expensive) modification it would require to make this work like the deluxe tractor. I'd suggest finding a suitable location for an after-market gage and then install its temperature sensor in place of the temperature switch. That's the best solution in my opinion. Then, anyone who owns your tractor in the future will not pull their hair out trying to figure out how the tractor has been uniquely modified.

Sorry it isn't an easy swap. I kinda suspect CNH designed it to be difficult on purpose.:(

Last edited:
   / want to install a temp. gauge on D40 tractor like DX models #4  
Sea Story's and Fairy tale's Ha!

Please note the 2" shorter steering column too.

Attachments

• DSCF0635.JPG
    DSCF0635.JPG
    631 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF0636.JPG
    DSCF0636.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 235