Steering wheel on-center....or not....Class III

/ Steering wheel on-center....or not....Class III #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
I just noticed this situation on my TC40D:

I put a steering wheel spinner (aka: suicide knob) on my steering wheel. I parked with the wheels straight and installed the spinner on the spoke at the 6 oclock position.

Since then, I have noticed that the spinner does not always line up at 6 when I am going straight. Sometimes it is 2, others 10, etc. Same with the NH logo in the center of the wheel. I don't feel that anything is loose. I know my telescoping adjustment knob is tight. My gut tells me that it has something to do with hydrostatic power steering, but I dunno. I would feel better with confirmation from other TBNers.

Next time you are out, make a visual reference or mark on your wheel for on-center and see if it returns there everytime.

Thanks!

Mark

BTW: the spinner is GREAT for loader work and driving while looking backwards! About $10 at TSC.

/ Steering wheel on-center....or not....Class III #2  
I'm not familiar with this NH model, so my question is does it have hydrostatic steering or servo assisted mechanical steering?

If is hydrostatic, THIS IS NORMAL, and don't care too much about it. After longer time of using tractor, you will not feel this. I had similar (bad) surprise when started to drive my SAME, but now I just see sign in center of wheel in different position every time, as you told.

Try next: Start engine and leave it run on idle, turn steering wheel left (or right) to direct wheels to mechanical stop, then hold steering wheel with little force on stop (because when is on stop, it want to go back) with relief valve actuated (you will hear "zzzz..." sound or decrease idle speed). During this test, you will see that steering wheel creeps on left (right). Then direct wheels to another side, and check same proceure.

Perform this test for not longer than few seconds. I recommend this test with warmed engine (steering oil), because it is more feelable.

NOTE: Never hold steering wheel on stop, with relief valve actuated, too long, especially if you have separate steering oil tank (to avoid unnecessary heating oil).

Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Steering wheel on-center....or not....Class III #3  
Mine does the same and any hydro steered vehicle I have ever driven does the same. As said earlier this is normal I have been told.

/ Steering wheel on-center....or not....Class III #4  
Mark, I think you are likely to see steering wheel position "creep" on all systems like ours. The steering gear control head to which the wheel is attached has a pump built into it so you still have steering if the power steering pump fails. This design will allow the steering wheel to come to neutral (no left or right turn pressure) at various positions. The NH Repair Manual has no check for the alignment of the steering wheel position relative to the wheel postion, so I think you can be pretty sure your system is operating normally.

One other thing about our steering is that the steering column is completely isolated from shimmy or road feel when the steering wheel is at neutral position. Once the wheels turn to match the position of the steering wheel, the fluid is trapped on the return and pressure side of the steering cylinder in such a way that if you hit a rock or even bump an obstacle with a wheel, you will never feel it in the steering wheel. You will only feel "feedback" through the steering while the wheel is actually in left or right motion. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Of course, the downside to this is that if your steering hydraulic cylinder or hoses get a leak, you have no control of the steering whatsoever. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Steering wheel on-center....or not....Class III
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had a feeling it was going to be ok, but I wanted to check - I plan on a warranty road-trip soon and want to do this only once!
Mark