3-Point Hitch 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #1  

FarmerAlan

Tractor
1971 Ford 2000 3cyl
Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently bought a 71 Ford 2000 3cyl. 6 speed with lift problems. The lift was only working part of the time, and very slowly when it did work. However, it would hold up my heaviest implement, a disc harrow, without leaking down the least bit over several hours. I pulled the lift cover off the tractor and drained the fluid to find that I had some really nasty sludge in the bottom of the case that was clogging up the strainer(s) for the hydraulics. The pto shaft and lever had to be pulled out before the intake strainer could be pulled out. I poured in some kerosine and started wiping the mess out. After going through several dozen towels, I noticed that oil was seeping out of the transmission back into the hydraulic/differential case. It appears that I have a bad seal between the transmission and the hydraulic/ differential case. It looks like replacing the seal would require splitting the tractor, which I'd really like to avoid, if possible. If I'm not mistaken, both the hydraulic system and the transmission can use 134 oil, so is there any reason I couldn't just clean this thing out, replace my gaskets and o-rings and fill up both the transmission and the hydraulic system up with fresh 134, and go on with my life? Thanks in advance, Alan

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #2  
:welcome:

I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable can verify this, but I don't think there is a seal between the trans. and diff. I have the 2600, and I believe it's the same set-up. The dipstick is in the trans. case, and the filler cap is on the diff housing, but it's the same fluid.

Of course, I could be wrong. It's getting late, and it's past my bedtime. (old people need their sleep) :D

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #3  
Hi guys, I'm new here. I recently bought a 71 Ford 2000 3cyl. 6 speed with lift problems. The lift was only working part of the time, and very slowly when it did work. However, it would hold up my heaviest implement, a disc harrow, without leaking down the least bit over several hours. I pulled the lift cover off the tractor and drained the fluid to find that I had some really nasty sludge in the bottom of the case that was clogging up the strainer(s) for the hydraulics. The pto shaft and lever had to be pulled out before the intake strainer could be pulled out. I poured in some kerosine and started wiping the mess out. After going through several dozen towels, I noticed that oil was seeping out of the transmission back into the hydraulic/differential case. It appears that I have a bad seal between the transmission and the hydraulic/ differential case. It looks like replacing the seal would require splitting the tractor, which I'd really like to avoid, if possible. If I'm not mistaken, both the hydraulic system and the transmission can use 134 oil, so is there any reason I couldn't just clean this thing out, replace my gaskets and o-rings and fill up both the transmission and the hydraulic system up with fresh 134, and go on with my life? Thanks in advance, Alan

Some tractors have a common sump and you fill them up through a single fill port. My Ford 4610 has a separate fill fr the tranny and a separate fill for the hydraulics/rear axle. The levels are different and each has there own method for checking the respective levels.
I don't know much about your tractor model. However,If there are separate fill points for each sump then most likely the oil level must be maintained separately for each component sump. If you don't want to fix the leak between the sumps then you'll have to check the highest sump regulalrly to make sure it in the proper range and if it's not, remove some fluid from the lowest sump to add the highest sump. Most likely the highest is the tranny and the lowest is the rear axle.

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions
I really appreciate the replies! I've only assumed that there is a seal between the trans and the hyd/diff cases. I sure hope I've been worrying over nothing, and there is no seal between the two. My tractor doesnt have a dipstick for the trans or hyd. oils - it only has square headed plugs on each that you screw out to check the fill level. Both of these plugs appear to be at the same height on the case, so it looks like maybe my fears were unfounded.

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #5  
You should have small screw plugs with square heads on the right hand side as you sit on the tractor. The one just forward from the rear axle just behind your floorboard is for your differential, the other one is for the trans.Have these out when filling, when you see fluid coming out its filled.

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #6  
You can go to this web site and click on New Holland parts search and get to the parts break down to check to be sure.

My 68 4000 w FEL does, Tran is 13Q rear is 25Q. I drained near 40Q of decent fluid from the rear end and near 10 gallons of milky fluid from the tran's. Literally filled to the top, it did clear a bit when sitting. I siphoned about 7 gal out the top before draining about a gallon of clear water out the bottom and i caught the rest of the oil.

The point is 2 different levels, 2 diff quality of fluid.

Most folk run 134d in both so as long as its full you are good to go.

DS

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #7  
I drained my hydraulic fluid in rearend/three point lift and then refill it the next day. I fill it with the 134 hyd and the lift would not respond. had no troubles with the lift before this. Is there a way to prime the system? if so how?

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #8  
you can knock the seal out between the trans and rear axle and it will be perfectly fine

/ 71 ford 2000 3cyl hyd. oil, trans oil questions #9  
I drained my hydraulic fluid in rearend/three point lift and then refill it the next day. I fill it with the 134 hyd and the lift would not respond. had no troubles with the lift before this. Is there a way to prime the system? if so how?

would be better for you to start your own post.. however.. it appears from your profile that you have a 3 cyl 2000.

pull the plug on the 3x5 option ocver unde rthe seat and run the engine over and see if you have oil there.. if not go to the pump and find a top side plug on the head and loosen and and run the engine over.

post back