2120 PTO stops and starts

/ 2120 PTO stops and starts #1  

DickG

Tractor
NH 2120
Own a NH 2120 with HSS that I bought new in 1997. Great machine but lately the PTO pops in and out when running an implement. If I push clutch in and out it will come back. Any ideas on what the fix is? Thanks.

/ 2120 PTO stops and starts #2  
do you have to shift the pto back in, like it became disengaged? or merely pushing the clutch in and releasing pedal fixes it?

soundguy

/ 2120 PTO stops and starts
Just depressing the clutch brings it back. Sometimes it take a couple of tries, then the PTO works fine.

/ 2120 PTO stops and starts #4  
If the engagement lever does not jump back to neutral, it's probably not a gear related problem. There is a one way sprag clutch in the PTO drive train that could have an issue. Looks like it's in the rear housing, under the 3 Pt lift housing. Don't know what you use the tractor for, but this sprag would only come into play when decelerating with a high momentum load on the PTO. A built-in over running clutch.

When this problem started, I had my log winch on the tractor. When I engaged the PTO (at idle), it turns for a short while then just stops with no load. The PTO lever does not go back to neutral. Sometimes the PTO comes back on its own and sometimes I need to depress the clutch and it comes back. When the PTO is turning, it works fine.

/ 2120 PTO stops and starts #6  
when it comes on.. does it pull full power.. or slip?

Full power with no slipping when it works.

/ 2120 PTO stops and starts #9  
i can remember reading about some kubota subcuts that had an ORC delete kit you could put on them to combat multiple failures... I havn't heard much about fnh units failing though.. do you see alot of this?

/ 2120 PTO stops and starts #10  
i can remember reading about some kubota subcuts that had an ORC delete kit you could put on them to combat multiple failures... I havn't heard much about fnh units failing though.. do you see alot of this?

i changed three of them last year on 1715 fords