Ford 2000 power steering overflow

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow
It wasn't easy, but after dropping the gen out against the FEL I was able to get to the bolts: taking out one and loosening another allowed me to pivot the gen up far enough to clear the ps res. After that - all went smooth.

Now I get to find out how long before the hyd fluid starts gurgling out the steering column again. Hoping to get an hour. Fixing that seal is next.

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #22  
It wasn't easy, but after dropping the gen out against the FEL I was able to get to the bolts: taking out one and loosening another allowed me to pivot the gen up far enough to clear the ps res. After that - all went smooth.

Now I get to find out how long before the hyd fluid starts gurgling out the steering column again. Hoping to get an hour. Fixing that seal is next.

if you haven't fixed the seal it will be right to leaking just as soon has you fill the system agian

Ok, :ashamed:- you're right. It didn't fix anything, but I haven't changed the filters since I bought it, so it wasn't a waste of time and who doesn't like to spend a little quality time with their tractor. This weekend I'll park her under a big tree and start taking parts off.

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #26  
we're just making sure you know that the filter issue will have not much to do with the leak..e tc...

It took me a while to get to it, but I've got the steering apart enough to see the seal and the steering shaft. Starting at the bottom of the shaft above the lock nut: there is a 3/4" area that is severely pitted. I'm thinking the is the area that the seal touches. The next 1 1/4" is a narrower diameter and has minor pitting. I'm thinking this doesn't matter much as it's above the seal.

I was advised to get a speedi-sleeve and that seems to be a good idea, but won't that change the OD of the shaft? I'm trying to find seal specs (mostly I want to match the ID with the OD of speedi-sleeve). Should I just get the sleeve and figure the original part (a new one) will fit?

btw - I got lucky - everything came apart (cowling, steering wheel, everything else) in about 20 minutes.

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #28  
most of the times you use an oem seal with a repair sleeve. the OD of the repaired area should only ne a few tho bigger.. the seal has a lil play in the rubber and retention ring.. I used oe seals in my timeing cover on my farmall C when i was sleeving the crankshaft pulley. no issues getting hte sleeve intot he new seal.

The repairs went well last night despite the 102 degree heat, it was nice working under a big oak tree. I ran the tractor for quite a while and not a drip.

One thing (there is always one thing): the wheels don't seem to turn all the way to the right any more. They go full left, but stop short (4" of the right piston rod is still showing) to the right. Any ideas?

Anyone who reads this - do not be afraid to take this on. All in all it was a very simple repair. I am no mechanic and, really, it was a piece of cake. Just remember: only dismantle down to the three bolts, not the four bolts. I used a 99087 Speedi-sleeve that touched all the way around, but fit loose (glad I had the loctite).

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #30  
pull cyls loose and steer over with front jacked. do rods extend / retract fully?