Ford 2000 power steering overflow

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #1  

SmellsLikeaGoat

Tractor
Ford 2000
I have a 3 cyl gas '65 Ford 2000 that is perfect except after a half hour or so the power steering fluid starts flowing out of the top of the steering column all tan and cloudy. The reservoir quickly goes empty, I refill, let it cool and do it again a half hour later. I can do small chores, 15 min at a time, forever without losing fluid so I think it has something to do with heat or maybe the foam breaks.

The advice I get is that it's sucking air. All the fittings I can see are clean, smooth, and tight.

Help

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #2  
Some of the other guys here can explain what’s happening better than me. But, I can tell you that it sounds like the same issue I had. If I recall there was a gasket or seal inside the steering column that needed replaced. Sounded like a simple job. It’s not. I pulled the steering column myself and had a shop fix it for me. Took a lot of time and a good bit of money.

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #3  
first off what type of oil or you using and second what pump do you have and third have you changed you powersteering filter lately

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow
gonna show my ignorance here, but

• universal hydraulic fluid
    whatever pump came with it
    haven't changed the filter (where is it?)
    I change the oil every 30 minutes pretty much, but really, I have changed it completely.

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #5  
SLAgoat
I had a Ford 7600, used a little pump everyday to take out about a cup of oil from the upper housing under the steering wheel, 2hrs. later oil would be running down the cowl onto my foot. Yes I replaced the filter - it's in the pump reservoir - and I could only get 2 hrs' when the filter was totally removed. There is a small seal at the top of the second shaft from the top. You need a special tool to put it in over the splined shaft - looks like a giant thimble. Replaced mine three times. CNH dealership had no ideas either. Traded for a TL80a and that doesn't run right. Frustrating. Interesting idea about it sucking air - might there be a seal between the pump (on the front of the reservoir) and the crankcase?

good luck
Bob

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #6  
gonna show my ignorance here, but

• universal hydraulic fluid
    whatever pump came with it
    haven't changed the filter (where is it?)
    I change the oil every 30 minutes pretty much, but really, I have changed it completely.

does the pump have the canister on it or is the canister mounted under the hood either way the filter will be inside the canister

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #7  
whodat
Bet you are right - probably on a 2000 it's a canister up on top

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #8  
if filter is clogged it can cause backpressur.

in any case.. leaky steering column seal is pretty common..

both need to be addressed..

utf is fine oil for it.

soundguy

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #9  
first change the filter than buy a speedy sleeve kit for the steering shaft and remove the steering wheel tank cover and then there is four bolts that holds the steering shaft tube on remove it and the seal is located in the bottom of the tube. put the speedy sleeve on the shaft and reinstall the seal and tube your problem should then be fixed. it is a real easy fix

/ Ford 2000 power steering overflow #10  
bow that dash and tank is fun to remove on a 3 cyl.. :)