Range Lever

/ Range Lever #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
Test drove a tc29d on friday. The range lever (if that is what it is called) was difficult to shift between low medium and high range. Not every time. By letting out the clutch a little, it would slide into the next range ok. Is this normal? The dealer was not present when I drove it. Didn't think the receptionist would know so I didn't ask her.

Thanks

/ Range Lever #2  
It doesn't happen all the time on my TC25D but when it does, I use the same procedure you did.

/ Range Lever #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is this normal? )</font>

Yes. Those are not synchromesh gears, so it's not unusual at all if the gears are not lined up exactly right. You don't actually even have to step on the clutch to change ranges. If the lever doesn't go easily into the range you want, you can simply step lightly on the hydro pedal, let off and slide the range selector into gear. And yes, I know the manual says to use the clutch, so that's fine. If you don't use the clutch you just want to be sure the hydro pedal is centered.

/ Range Lever #4  
I have HST on mine, but there are 2 non-synchomeshed geared ranges. I have to move the pedals occasionally to get them to mesh. Same thing on 4wd - I have to move the tractor forwards or backwards SLOWLY to get it out.

I test drove every shuttle there was (at least it seemed) and most seem balky for range selection at times, especially when compared to the smoothness of changing directions or gears within that range.

Mark

/ Range Lever
Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes I wonder what in the world am I thinking getting myself a tractor. Oh well, I guess someday I'll get this figured out.

/ Range Lever #6  
Well gee Bmac,

We are all wondering here why you wouln't get yourself a tractor??

Just kiddin, but it is a big expense so you do want to make sure you have a need for it. Nothing worse than spending a bunch of money and then let it sit in the garage. You may really want to take your time on this one and every time you think of a time you would need the tractor I would write it down on a piece of paper. You then can evaluate if you need it or not.

murph

/ Range Lever
Murph,
Thanks for the comments. I've been going through this process for about a year. Been back and forth on it and finally made the decision. My TC29D is sitting at the dealership now waiting for the ATI Tach-All, 60" bucket and toothbar to come in. Dealer says he probably can deliver it by the end of the week. The backhoe is on backorder and will be about 2 weeks before it comes in. When it comes in, the dealer will come pick up the tractor, install the backhoe and deliver it back to me. At least I can get some seat time in while waiting for the hoe.

And you guys thought I was asking questions before. Wait till I get this thing home and don't even know where to insert the key. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Range Lever #8  
bmac, you will love the TC29D! I spent 2 hours on my TC25D this afternoon using the rotary mower (Woods BB60) cutting our 3 acre field and spreading out some stone on the entrance to the same field. To me, it's still work, but the 25D makes it less so. The 25D is the same size tractor you're getting. The only thing I would have done differently, and still might do, is the mmm. Our lawn tends to hold moisture and stay soft to the point our 600 pound garden tractor leaves marks...so I don't even have the mmm on the TC yet. I should have spent the $ I spent on the mmm on a new deck for our Work Horse garden tractor. I still might sell the 914a mmm and buy a new deck for the WH. Again, congrats on the 29D.

/ Range Lever
Thanks Mike. I wanted a MMM but once the BH gets installed it would be a major undertaking to remove all of the BH hardware to install the mower. Therefore, for the time being I am going to keep my Craftsman and Snapper mowers. When we build on some acreage in a couple of years or so, I may get a RFM if we need it.

/ Range Lever #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 4wd - I have to move the tractor forwards or backwards SLOWLY to get it out )</font>

Mark, another trick to getting it out of 4WD easily is to lower your FEL bucket to the ground and lift the front wheels enough to take the pressure off and it'll come out of 4WD very easily.