NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up???

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up??? #1  

Roscoe294

Bronze Member
I'm looking at a 1995 New Holland LX865 Skidsteer a local dealer has on their lot. The dealer said I could demo it but the last two times I've tried to line up the demo, the left side drive was locked up when they went to move it. Keep in mind the temp is below freezing.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

They put the machine in their heated shop and changed the hyd oil because it was milky. I'm sure they did not flush it. Also changed and checked chain case (final drive) oil. After that and warming up, it operated fine. Fast fwd a few weeks, still cold out, fired the machine up.....same problem, left side locked up. I've ran the machine around their lot on above freezing days without issue.

Seems to be a cold weather issue? I'm new to skidsteers so any help in determining the problem is appreciated. Obviously I dont want to buy something that needs major/expensive repair. Also, unknown hours on machine because the main cluster was bypassed at some point (before dealer). Machine is tight, runs good and has clean original paint.

Thanks

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up??? #2  
Just exactly WHAT seems to be locked up? Does the left lever move as easily as the right and does the drive seem to be trying to perform? Does the chainbox simply refuse to turn? You stated that the cluster had been "bypassed". How many gauges and warning circuits were "bypassed" as well? Hydraulic fluid condition, milky, watery or whatever should affect more than drive to one side. The hydraulic system supplies the boom and bucket circuits as well as the charge pressure for both hydrostats. What did they claim to have found when they drained the chainbox? Parts book shows the mechanical park brake, which can easily be driven through when left applied. Probably happened a lot with no lights or buzzers functioning. Might be a possible issue in there, but doesn't seem particularly temp sensative.

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up??? #3  
Would an LX865 have a gearbox at the drive motor that could have its own supply of contaminated oil that might be freezing? Seems like early final drives were separate from the chain case and later machines were common sump with a higher oil level in the chain case.

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up???
Bypassed.......? Well there isn't a gauge that works. There isn't a alarm or buzzer to be heard. There is the key switch on the upper right and that's it. The instrument board(s) are there but they don't show a thing. Along the upper right there looks and I believe there should be two fuse panels, there is only one. It looks by the rust/weathering that the bypass was done quite sometime ago.

The left lever/handle moves free and it seems the drive wants to work, almost to the point it will kill the engine with the throttle just above idle . I was there when the left chain case was drained and it was sludgy oil that came out.

Again, I've driven the machine a couple times around the lot when it was 40+ degrees without problem. Thanks

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up??? #5  
RickB might have hit it. Parts page shows the park brake in a separate housing, sealed off from the chain box. Looks like the drive motor bolts on to it, and there is a 7/8" 14 plug and O ring at what might be an oil level,and a breather vent on top. Shows some hydraulic connectors on the housing but I couldn't find a page showing what might be any lines. Doesn't seem likely they would put a seperate oil level in there, since it's not something that would ever be checked. Worth a look, I suppose. As for the lack of gauges, It probably has a bad circuit board and previous owner didn't want to spring for a new cluster. Without his "bypass" the machine probably wouldn't stay running or unlock the hydraulics.

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up??? #6  
If you don't own it why buy a headache? If it were me I'd run.............. as far from it as possible. They know there is a problem but don't seem to care enough to fix it. There are plenty of other machines out there if it were me I'd look elsewhere, just my opinion. Do you have a mechanic friend or someone that knows SS that could go with you when you look at it?

I dont have the machine with me but when I was watching them drain the chain/final drive the very first time this happened, we found a dipstick down around each foot pedal or rather where your legs are positioned when operating. The dealer is not a NH dealer and wasnt sure what these dipstick/fill holes were for????????

So from what I seen up front on this machine is a check/fill/drain for chain/final drives, a check /fill for what RickB may be talking about and another check fill/ under the seat. Am I missing anything other than the engine and hyd oil?

**** I wish I had a manual for this thing.

Thanks for the help guys

If you don't own it why buy a headache? If it were me I'd run.............. as far from it as possible. They know there is a problem but don't seem to care enough to fix it. There are plenty of other machines out there if it were me I'd look elsewhere, just my opinion. Do you have a mechanic friend or someone that knows SS that could go with you when you look at it?

Yeah they are a dealer........not all are bad. This dealer is small and one bad word would kill him. I see him almost on a daily basis so I dont believe he is trying to hide anything, otherwise he wouldnt let me put a grapple on it and demo it for a couple days. I took an equipment mechanic (JD,Case,Volvo, etc) with me the first time to look at it and everything checked out fine.

Of course this price has to be right in order to purchase and I only ask for advice/information because the problem may be minor.

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up??? #9  
The problem is likely to be minor as the machine works in warm temperatures. If you want to buy it and the price needs to be right, you are nuts for trying to fix it on the dealer's lot so he can jack the price up. Play dumb, go back and make a lowball deal on a cold day when it won't move, and pick it up when it thaws out.

You need to be the buyer's advocate, not the seller's!

/ NH LX865 Skidsteer Locked Up??? #10  
Yeah they are a dealer........not all are bad. This dealer is small and one bad word would kill him.

I'm not saying wether the dealer is bad or not I'm not there. What I'm writting is why take a chance? I have owned SS'es and many other pieces of equipment, not sure if you understand this or not, something you think might be minor could easily cost thousands to fix. You wrote the machine only acts up in cold weather so ya maybe it is bad fluid. You also wrote they changed the oils and it still did the same thing, so my question is why? There are a lot of SS'es out there that run fine. It's your $$$$$ and you obviously know more about the situation, then myself, I'm just suggesting, why gamble with your $$$$$

I see him almost on a daily basis so I dont believe he is trying to hide anything, otherwise he wouldnt let me put a grapple on it and demo it for a couple days.

Why wouldn't he try to sweeten a deal to move equipment isn't this is bread and butter? Again I'm not writting that the machine is junk or even has a major problem, only suggesting that it very well could have one. When pumps or motors go on these things they are not cheap to fix nor all that easy of a job.

I took an equipment mechanic (JD,Case,Volvo, etc) with me the first time to look at it and everything checked out fine.

:confused: everything checked out fine but yet it wouldn't work? What did the mechanic suggest was the issue?

Of course this price has to be right in order to purchase and I only ask for advice/information because the problem may be minor.

Understood, it easily could be minor or it just as easily could cost you thousands, I hate to see that happen to anyone. Maybe another route you could try is to find out who owned the machine before and ask them why they got rid of it. I have done this in the past, and it has made or broke a deal that I was involved in. You write the price has to be right.... I agree maybe take the worst case scenario and start haggling the price from there. Make the dealer understand your the one taking the gamble and either ask for some type of guarantee or a good price. Also check the machinerytrader site, find that model and see what the average price is on one, that may give you some haggling area. While at that site check other machines you may be surprised.

Roscoe294; please understand I'm not trying to slam your dealer or even make that particular machine look bad. Personally I would just be walking on egg shells/thin ice on this deal especially sense you've gone twice with the same problem. I'd have to ask myself if this dealer really believes the problem is no big deal, then why not fix it? Reminds me of some of these craig list sales we see, "works great, just needs_____ and it'll run perfect!"