Boomer 3040 cuts out

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out #1  

Boomer3040

Tractor
Boomer 3040
I recently began to have a problem with my 3040. When I am in gear (forward or reverse) and move the three point lift hydraulic lift lever (up or down), the tractor will "cut out". If I raise the lift to its highest position, or lower it all the way down, in neutral, I can then put it in gear and move, however if the minute I move the lever while in gear, the tractor stops. No codes or any odd lights on the ADIC, she just quits.

Tractor specs - Boomer 3040 w/cab and CVT
117 hours

Any ideas on what may be causing this? I am leaning towards a bad pressure switch somewhere, but its just a guess.

I plan to contact the dealer on Monday as well.

Thanks in advance.

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out #2  
did you check your hydraulic fluid level?

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out
It is right on the "MAX" mark. The fluid also looks good and not milky. The fluid was changed by dealer at 50 hours and the level/appearance has not differed since.

The first thing that went through my mind was possible water in the fluid, but I think I can rule that out. The tractor is now stored indoors, however it is still unheated. I thought it may me a "cold" issue, but I have also allowed the temp to come up into the "green" range and the symptoms still persist.

Also there are no abnormal noises from the lift when she quits, it's just like someone reaches in & turns off the key (except all other circuits stay powered). If I can catch it quick enough, I can shift back into neutral to keep her running.

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out #4  
Do you have a loader? If you cycle the loader, does the same symptom occur? In an open center system, the pressure is lowest when there is nothing actively using hydraulic fluid. Also when you lower the 3PH, it falls due to gravity. It's not a double acting cylinder. Something weird for sure, almost like a seat safety switch except that should show up no matter where the 3PH is located.

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out
No loader, no front or rear remotes.

I started looking at the wiring diagram again and I am also leaning towards possible seat switch issue. The more I think about it, it seems as if the fuel solenoid is what's causing the tractor to stop (just like turning off the key), but there is no correlation between the lift and the solenoid (or at least any that I can see), however there is definitely a connection between the switch and the solenoid.

Its definitely strange I will give the seat switch a good going over tomorrow, when I have better light, and a warmer day.

Is there any easy/preferred way to jump out the switch to completely rule it out (i.e. alligator clips and wire etc...)?

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out #6  
I jammed a piece of wood between the frame and the seat switch. Now the tractor thinks there is always someone sitting on it. lol

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out #7  
I think the new seat switches are more complex than the old switch on my tractor. I think now you have to jumper between three contacts instead of just two. I don't know this for sure and don't have an electrical schematic, so I better just say it can be done and leave it at that. If you have an operator's manual and can scan the page with the seat switch on it, I'll try to help, but without that, my advice would be dangerous.;)

/ Boomer 3040 cuts out
Well good news !!! It seems it was something with the seat switch.

You are correct,on the new models you need to jump the orange wire, with 2 whites (pin 2 to pins 3+4). It looks like pin 3(white) goes to ADIC (beeper & display), pin 4(white) goes to operator safety module (fuel solenoid cutoff)

I accomplished this with some paperclips and heat shrink tubing. Plugged it in and the tractor worked normally.
I then unplugged my jumper and removed the switch (on cab models it is under the seat, you just flip it forward and it is in the center of the flipped up part of the seat), exercised it a few times, plugged it back in & the tractor still worked.

I am not positive if just unplugging it and plugging it back in would have solved it, but since I was there I figured removal and inspection was in order.

If it acts up again I will get a new one from the dealer The strange thing is the switch is inside the cab, protected from the weather. In reading a few other threads on this forum, I am starting to think whomever designed these switch(s), made a mistake in a tolerance somewhere. The only thing I can attribute it to is when I was pulling or pushing the lift lever, my butt was coming slightly off the seat, not enough to cause the beeper to beep, but enough to allow the circuit to the solenoid to trip. I saw another thread talking about a "featherweight" issue, it seems that the same thing was happening, but at 210lbs I do not consider myself a feather weight at all, nor does my wife.

Thanks again to everyone for your input and suggestions. I do not know what I would do without this forum. It is priceless.