Ford 1700 injector pump timing

/ Ford 1700 injector pump timing #1  

53GMC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n, Two Massey Ferguson 20 Industrial, Hinomoto
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a 1 owner ford 1700 tractor with a front end loader. It had been sitting for about 2 years in a open barn.

The guy I bought it form said it had a burnt valve so he had the entire head reworked, while he was working on it he wanted to have the injector pump checked out because he was going to keep it long term.

After reassembley he could not get the bolts to tighten up on the injector pump, the result was the timing would not stay set. I believe I can get them to tighten up but I do not know where to set the timing.

Is there any way to tell when it is in time or where it is supposed to be set? It is close enough right now to start but it lacks power and won't idle.

One more thing I am having problems with is the loader is really slow going up and acts like it doesn't have any power. It will not lift the wheels off the ground, it also won't work unless the 3 point is all the way up:confused:

The tractor only has 1200 hours on it and has been kept inside most of it's life.

Thanks in advance!

/ Ford 1700 injector pump timing #2  
Hi, Do you have a manual? Here are links to my engine rebuild and includes photos. The pump has 2 separate adjustment locations. One is visible from the outside, it is the 3 mounting bolts. The original bolts had a screwdriver slots and nuts to tighten. On the inside, behind the timing cover, there are 3 bolts to adjust the gear on a shaft. Normally before dis-assembly you would put witness marks and reinstall to the marks.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/135179-first-post.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/137188-1700-engine-rebuild.html

Russell

/ Ford 1700 injector pump timing #4  
53gmc,

IT manual for the 1700 does have a section on pump timing. I can post it later if you need but Russel's info should suffice. I never re-timed my pump but knew enough to right away put a witness Mark on the pump and timing gear cover to both make sure to easily time it and verify it did not move. On crankshaft pulley you do have a notch (same as ignition timing on gas engine) with the exception that is only for fuel pump timing. I can share the procedure later when i get home as I'm sitting here in DCA waiting to board.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 injector pump timing
Thanks for the replies!

The previous owner did not put a mark on the pump before removal:confused2: But that is why I got a good deal on it:D

I am going to order a manual today, witch one would you recommend buying?

The three bolts that hold the injector pump on are the ones the previous owner could not tighten. They do not have a slot for a screw driver, but I was thinking about cutting a slot in them to hold them with a screw driver. Or welding something on the end of the bolts if nothing else. But I still don't know where it should be set.

I have been trying to identify the loader, tractordata.com shows a Ford 770 loader for it. Mine is a Ag-TECK at-720 loader, New Holland. It seams to fit good, and the owner said it came from the dealer like it is. Could this be a factory loader for this tractor with it being a 720 model?

Thanks for the help!

Just a update.

I have adjusted the timing so it will start on it's own and idle at about 700 rpm. But it still lack a lot of power. I have not hooked an attachement up to it yet, but it struggles to pull itself in high range. Is there any way to know when it is in time other than trail and error?

Thanks!
Philip.

/ Ford 1700 injector pump timing #7  
To set the timing properly you have to follow the steps in the manual. You could damage the engine if you try running it with the timing verry far off. I like the Ford manuals. You can pick them up for under $100 on ebay. It will more than pay for its self.
Bill

To set the timing properly you have to follow the steps in the manual. You could damage the engine if you try running it with the timing verry far off. I like the Ford manuals. You can pick them up for under $100 on ebay. It will more than pay for its self.
Bill

I ordered a cheap manual today. If I do much more work on this tractor I will probably be buying a good manual. I just don't won't to get much money tied up in this tractor right now.

I purchased a new fuel filter and fuel line today. I put them on and made sure to get all the air out of the filter and the hose before putting it together. While I was bleeding the system it took a long time to get any fluid out of one of the injector lines, finely I got some fluid and bubbles. I do not know where it is coming from, but air keeps coming out of the injector line, even after running it a few minutes :confused: I have a good flow of fuel if I take the fuel line off going into the injector pump. I have ran it and it is starting a lot easier but still lacks power.

Thanks,
Philip

/ Ford 1700 injector pump timing #10  
On my 1900 if I run it out of fuel it is a PITA to get all the air out of the system. Even after bleeding the injectors and getting it running it will take some time for the air to clear out and run smooth.
Bill