Lighting

/ Lighting #1  

al f

Tractor
TC 25, NH loader
The other night I was moving some sections of logs with my loader and noticed that the lights were on, but I couldn't see a darned thing. The loader with the logs piled in it was completely blocking the headlights in the hood. To fix this I went to Central Tractor and bought 2 auxilliary lights, square tube clamps, and some wire and mounted the lights on the inside of the top of the ROPS. Has anyone else ever had problems with loaders/stock lights and if so, how did you fix it?

/ Lighting #2  
What kind of lighting did you purchase
spot lights or reflector lights?
What were the watts of your addon lights,also does your tractor electric system have enough power to run them with out heating up your wires or popping fuses?
Take Care.

/ Lighting #3  
Again there is a long post in the archives that discusses this, under "Kubota owning and operating", and if you search the subject headings for adding lights or something like that you should find it. I added 2 35 watt lights to my 1700, one facing forward to augment the headlights, and one facing backward so I can see whatever is on my 3 point. I used trapezoidal beams, and they work great. I have a ready-made electrical connection behind the seat, as do almost all of the newer model Kubotas I think. Made the hookup a real cinch. If you can not find the old post, post here again and I can fill in the details. I think Bird did the same on his 2710, and I am sure would be glad to help too. by the way, you are right - the loader and the lights are a real stupid arrangement!

/ Lighting
I, like PaulB, used 35 watt trapezoidal beam lights, only I used 2 facing forward. I used the 2 spare light harnesses on the TC series that are for the extra headlights in the TC-D series, so there shouldn't be a problem with overloading the electrical system. Next I may either spring for the NH rear worklight (probably lots of $$) or put another 35 watt light facing rear tied into the harness for the OEM light so I too can see what's happening behind me. I did all of this with my father-in-law who is an electrical engineer, so I feel confident that it's sound, but I am going to calculate my load vs altenator rating before adding the rear light.

/ Lighting #5  
A response to your first question was one of the messages I posted last night that disappeared. I have a steel canopy on my B2710 and I mounted a trapezoidal light under the front edge of the canopy and a flood light under the rear edge. They look alike and cost the same at Northern Tool and are 55 watt lights. I mounted a single 3-way toggle switch, also under the canopy, so that either light can be used, but not both at the same time. The existing connector PaulB mentioned has a 10 amp fuse.

Bird

/ Lighting #6  
Bird,
I'm thinking about adding the optional rear light to my TC18, would you recommend the flood or the trapezoid? I was thinking the trapezoid would be good for winter rear blade work and summer mowing. Any suggestions? JimBinMI

/ Lighting #7  
Well, I ain't Bird, but I heartily recommend the traps. The floods end up getting back into your eyes too much. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Lighting #8  
AL f

The dealer threw in rear worklights for my TC45D to close the deal, but I asked him what one usually cost, and he said around 35 dollars for just one light if you can put it on yourself.

/ Lighting #9  
Fellas, I honestly don't know which is best. I do very little tractor work during hours of darkness, and really haven't even given them a good try. I mowed my pasture at night last summer and was no problem (with the loader off, the headlights were adequate), but then I mowed another pasture on a very dark night, and when I finished and got off the tractor and walked around the rear end (I thought), I hit my shin on the tail wheel of the brush hog. So, my thoughts were a trap light on the front, if I needed a headlight to get over the loader, and a floodlight at the rear if I needed to work on, change, adjust, or avoid a rear implement. And I figure it'll be another couple of months before it gets hot enough for me to start working at night.

Bird

/ Lighting #10  
JimB - I used traps, and am happy with the beam. I could have gone to 55 watt, and stayed under my max for the fuse, but went with 35 because thats what the shop had. Seems plenty bright to keep an eye on my rear blade and manure spreader at night.